We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

My husband and I will be leaving from Montreal to Istanbul at the beginning of September for a 3 weeks stay in Turkey. It will be our first trip to Turkey. We plan to stay in Istanbul for the first few days and we intend to discover this city by ourselves, with the help of all the information we gathered on Trip Advisor. After Istanbul, we want to visit the following regions/cities: Cappadocia, Konya, Antalya, Olympus, Myra, Fethiye, Pamukkale, Ephemus, Pergamon, Troy, Canakkale.

We could buy one of the many tours offered but... none offers all we want to see. And we can't affort a private tour for just the two of us.

We are presently contemplating the possibility of organizing our own tour and visiting the country on our own.

My question is: Considering that we speak only french and english but no turkish (except for the few words/sentences we will learn in the next few weeks) and considering that it would be our first trip in Turkey, is it risky (not in terms of "danger" but in terms of " underestimating the difficulties") to visit Turkey on our own?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Hi Shali,

As a fellow Canadian all I can say is that I cannot see you having any problems with languages. In most toursitc places there are usually if not most people that speak english. Also there is nothing risky or no dangers that you need to worry about. Have a look a few of these posts;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1247…

You can very easily plan this trip yourself with out the aid of a tour. Plus you will have the benefit of the many of us here on the fourms.

For travel within long distances of each other either fly or take the over night buses. And for shorter distance consider hiring a rental car to get around...a bit more freedom.

As for most places on your I have been to them all over the many years. Most recently this year our trip from Antalya to Canakkale and back.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k9882…

This post will give a you a few ideas plus here are my photos from our trip as well as the Antalya and Airali ( Olympos ) areas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

happy planning !!

CanMom

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

I am certainly not an expert, and we have never visited all the places you plan to go. However, based upon our recent experiences in Turkey I would not hesitate to make my own arrangements. My husband and I hate group tours, and it is not difficult to make hotel reservations via the internet. People on the forum will be able to help you make decisions regarding your itinerary and transportation needs.

I do not think you are underestimating the difficulties, but you probably need to start soon as you have only about 70 days to make your plans. I think planning a trip is almost as exciting as taking one, so I would not necessarily want someone else to make all those decisions for me.

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Thank you CanMom and BuysReired for your advices and for the vote of confidence! I confess that it's the answer I was hoping for.

And also, thank for reminding me that there's only 70 days left ! I guess I better start NOW !!!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Hi Shali

My daughter and I were in Turkey for 2 weeks from 22nd May. Neither of us speak Turkish but it wasn't a problem. We absolutley loved it!! We travelled by ourselves, booking hotels on internet mostly.

After a few days in Istanbul (Sultan's Eye Hotel in old area - lovely) we flew to Kayseri then were picked up by a bus to Goreme .Jackie arranged the pick up for us. We stayed at the Caves hotel with Jackie and Mustafa which was interesting. Jackie is a very good hostess. Did a day trip of the area from there. There are also balloon flights from Goreme but we weren't able to do one. Then bussed it (long haul) from Goreme to Olmypos for a 4 day/3 night boat cruise (wonderful) to Fethiyet (V-Go Hostel) before another long bus trip to Eceabat to visit Gallipoli the next day.

Then back to Istanbul (Side Hotel in old area) - great -for a couple of days before flying out.

Turkey is wonderful as are the people, very friendly and welcoming. You should have no troubles at all. We met another middle aged couple who were driving themselves around Turkey and they had had no trouble.

Best of luck and enjoy Turkey

Montreal
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Thanks a lot pud653. This cruis3-4 days cruise seems very interesting. I guess we will have to add this to our "to do" list.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

Hi Shali: in making your own itinerary please read two threads by gonetothedogs on this page, Exploring Beyond Istanbul and Advice from Villa Rhapsody. Also dont try to cover too much, pick the places you want to see the most, Happy Travel LL

7. Re: I badly need an expert's advice... Please !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 04, 2009