We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tea with milk, anyone?

singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tea with milk, anyone?

Hello All,

Me & my boyfriend had a wonderful time spent in Turkey. Lots of memorable & funny experiences I'd like to share with everyone here but I dont think I can write them all at once. But there's one thing that made me went "I cannot wait to put this on tripadvisor" is the tea culture. Common tea in Turkey (i.e Turkish tea, apple tea) is consumed without milk and we do like them. But for people who take tea with milk like us, by the third day there, we craved for one. It's in the menu in most big hotels and restaurants, but not so in smaller ones. I even had a waiter rolled his eyes and said "No. When you're in Turkey, you drink OUR tea" when asked for an English tea. Of course he laughed afterwards, but not until he saw our scared faces.

During our 2-week trip, we stayed at 6 different hotels and we noticed that it is not common to have tea/coffee counter in hotel rooms, which means you need to get room service or go out for just a cuppa. But for the 'tea-with-milk' drinkers who are going to Turkey soon, I suggest you bring along some tea bags (for hot water & milk, leave it to the hotel kitchens, please). That's one thing we wished we did.

oneleene x

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tea with milk, anyone?

Hi Oneleene,

for you and everybody else I would like to say you need to ask for a 'poset cay' (say: poshet) sütlü (this is pronounced like the German ü) and I am sure you will get your teabag tea with milk, this tea you can find all over Turkey and of course you can find mild too.

Only when you are offered tea in a shop or in certain small restaurants they order the tea from special tea houses where they always serve a freshly brewed Turkish tea.

Glad to hear you liked you holiday!

singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tea with milk, anyone?

Thanks, VR! Am practising the pronounciation while typing this.

Oh, and I love those cats running around in Istanbul. Never failed to stop and pat them everytime.

oneleene x

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tea with milk, anyone?

Hi,

yes the cats are cute aren't they!

Here is our cat, it just walked in our garden as a tiny kiiten last year and because of his beautiful eyes he was lukcy that he could stay. One green and one blue eye, he must have 'Van' blood even though he is a stray.

It is the same cat under my name:

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/411085558/

By the way, I loved Singapore, I did notice there are no stray cats nor dogs around there, love to go back one day!

Cheers!

4. Re: Tea with milk, anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 30, 2009