We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turkish carpets

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
turkish carpets

Can anyone suggest good places to buy nice quality carpets in turkey. We are definitely going to Istanbul, but will be traveling around other areas as well. Thanks, TG

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: turkish carpets

We were forced to buy a carpet at Onur Carpets, at Sultanahmet. They quoted us USD1600 for a carpet, and refused to let us leave the shop until we bought one.

So I haggled, and managed to bring the price down to YTL500 for a silk + wool carpet. Can you imagine the heartache if we did not haggle?? We will be paying SO much more!!

Anyway, dont buy from this shop... it was truly a bad experience. They are right at the junction before entering Arasta Bazaar.

gatorgirl515
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: turkish carpets

I would be very careful about shipping and actually recommend taking it with you. We purchased a rug in Capadoccia from Avanos or it was at least shipped thorugh them and we never recieved it despite the UPS delivery confirmation...they were not helpful in trying to resolve this with UPS.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: turkish carpets

gatorgirl, I am so very sorry to hear that you did not receive your carpet after having made arrangements to have it shipped. One trusts that you used a credit card so you will not be obligated to pay for something you never received.

It was certainly a worry for us when we purchased our first carpet only 24 hours after arriving in Turkey. We, however, had a completely different experience. We purchased our carpet on Sunday and it arrived in our home in Florida four days later on Thursday, and more than three weeks before we returned home. We bought a carpet in Selcuk later on the same week, and it was at our home five days after purchase.

So, as you can see, in our case, goods arrived to us as quickly, actually more quickly, than they normally arrive when being shipped from one point in the US to another point. We were totally amazed at how quickly our carpets were shipped.

If you have a small carpet you can succeed in taking it back with your luggage on the plane, but these carpets are very heavy, and can easily exceed the 50 lb. limit allowed by airlines.

I really appreciate the anxiety involved in paying so much money for something so far away from home, but we have actually never had an account, before your experience, where a buyer did not receive the carpet that was shipped for him. I have to think it is quite rare.

Since you had the UPS shipping code were you not able to trace your package?

istanbul - TURKEY
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: turkish carpets

it is important to know the person. whatever you do, how much u travel and compare it wont work. unless u are an expert, they will win at the end.

personal contacts are still my way of collecting carpets.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: turkish carpets

istanBULent is completely accurate. It is impossible to fully educate oneself about how to purchase an authetic Turkish carpet. A few months ago we had a sorry story of a man who believed he was purchasing a silk carpet handmade in Turkey only to return home and discover his carpet had probably been machine made in China.

I fear fewer and fewer women are making carpets at home these days, and certainly imports from China a flooding the markets all over the world. I have a hunch that one of our carpets came from Iran rather than Turkey because the style is fairly unique to Iran, but I am not bothered by it because it is a Persian rug.

My advice to people who want to bring home a carpet is to first visit a retail carpet dealer near your own home. We spent some time with an Iranian man who operates a huge store near where we live. Not only did he refresh our minds about the little signs of a hand-tied rug, but we also inspected his carpets and looked carefully at prices. I would not be happy to purchase something in Turkey and find something I liked just as well for less money at home.

If you have a relationship with someone in Istanbul who can guide you to a good carpet dealer than by all means you should use that contact. If not, decide, in advance, how much a Turkish carpet is worth to you, and go shopping. Do not pay more than what you previously decided to spend. If you find something you love then bargain for it. If you end up with something you love on the floor of your home to remind you of your adventure in Turkey then you have made a good buy. We still use the two rugs we purchased over 40 years ago and they barely look worn. I believe we have a similar quality with our more recent purchases.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: turkish carpets

gatorgirl,

Short and sweet:

Don't exactly understand from your post who is supposed to have handed over the carpet to UPS. Regardless, that same person/entity would have received an AWB from UPS (of which UPS would hold a copy) - which is traceable.

UPS shipments can be tracked online at:

www.ups.com/WebTracking/reference…

In any event, UPS should be able to confirm if indeed such a pickup has occurred in a given city and at a given address, with your Name, Address and SSN in the recipient details box.

Whish you luck with this.

Best Regards,

P_M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: turkish carpets

Reliability is the key to success...

About Onur Carpets, do you remember how you went to that shop? Please tell us more how you ended up in that store although it is not near the Grand Bazaar?

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: turkish carpets

RE: Onur Carpets.

It was our first day at Istanbul, and we were outside the Blue Mosque looking for someone to help us take a picture when a guy came up to us and offered. So he took our picture, and started talking to us.. I thought he was just a friendly stranger, and soon we got talking, and soon he was holding my husband's hand towards his shop.

We said no, we want to go to the mosque first, as we are Muslims and we really wanted to go to the mosque first and then go shopping... but he was so forceful, refusing to let go of my husband's hand!

So we thought, ok fine let's just go and look around and go off.

Totally impossible! They made us go to the 2nd floor and started throwing carpet after carpet infront of us. When we said no, they said they've shown us SO many carpets and we don't want to buy any?! Are we playing with them?! They were angry with us, for real? We said we were there on a budget and had no money but they still didn't let us out.

My husband decided tht the only way is to buy the smallest cheapest carpet. Which was what we did. And when we got back home, we showed it to relatives who are carpet experts, and they said it was worth muchmuch lesser.

God it was a terrible nightmare. Totally spoilt our first day at Istanbul.

california
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: turkish carpets

I was just in Istanbul hoping to get a nice Turkish carpet but one rug salesman completely destroyed my desire to get one. I was visiting the Blue Mosque and this guy approached me, insisting that he gives me a guided tour of the mosque in exchange for a quick visit to his store. I didn't think it was a great idea, but he wouldn't go away, so i figured why not. After the tour, I didn't feel comfortable going with him to his store, so I told him that and then he got angry. He started to use emotional black mail by saying that I used him and that the situation is unfair. I asked for his business card so that I can go visit later, and he told me that he had none, but that he has some at his store. So being a sucker that I am, I went to his store, which was near the entrance of the Arasta bazaar, right behind the blue mosque. The store was on a corner close to a cafe. The show room was just a few steps inside the store (multiple stories). There was a long-haired gentleman, who claimed to be the cousin of the "tour guide", waiting to give me his sales pitch. His nick name was Gonzalez (Turkish guy, but apparently he got this nickname from some friends over in San Diego). He initially insisted that he only wants to show me the rugs that he has, but I ended up spending over an hour there listening to him and in the end, I didn't feel like I wanted to spend $1500 for a 4x6 rug. I really liked the rug that we had been looking at, but I told him that I'm not comfortable spending that much money without comparing the rugs at other stores. Then he started to reduce the price. In the end I said that I had to think about it, and then he got angry saying that all the customers that said that never came back, so he'd rather hear me say that I didn't like the rug. So I again politely asked him for his business card, so that I know where to go back. He gave me the card initially, and then a few seconds later, he suddenly got angry and took the card back saying that I'm a bad customer and that I wasted his time. He threw me out of the store and cursed me out. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the name of the store, since I don't have their business card and also I ran away quickly after I got kicked out (there were a few people waiting out side the store...), but the main point is that don't be pressured into looking at carpets. One good advice that I got from Gonzalez was that if approached on the street like I did, just say that you already bought a rug and the people will leave you alone. And don't do what I did, in following strangers, as all they want to do is sell you something. I should have known better.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: turkish carpets

Shocking.

Now, seriously, if only you had joined the TA before this experience. There is a lot of information available here, that could have helped avoid this situation.

Regardless, it's good that you've come across this old thread and let others know what happened to you.

Best regards,

P_M