We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something new........?

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Something new........?

My partner and I are going back to Istanbul in May for our 5th trip there to celebrate both our 10th anniversary together and also our engagement.

Every other time we have been there has been in the winter so we are looking forward to seeing the city in better weather. We are staying in Sultanahmet as always.

I would love to pick people's brains about things to do in Istanbul that might not be the obvious - as we have done most of the usual 'tourist' things (although will certainly do some of them again - as it is why we love the city so much!). Any hidden gems, insider tips, special places to eat, drink or visit would be really gratefully received. We tend to enjoy atmospheric, historical, or quirky things better than clubbing and nightlife (which we could do anywhere) - although we do enjoy eating out.

I really want this trip to be very special and so it would be great to find something new and special.

Caro

1. Re: Something new........?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 pm, April 11, 2005
2. Re: Something new........?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 pm, April 11, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something new........?

I'd recommend the Mehter Janissary band and the tents at the military museum.

Cappadocia, Turkey
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Something new........?

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary. Also great to hear your passion on istanbul and turkey as you have already been there 4 times.

I would suggest you to visit new istanbul Modern as a starter. Treat yourself at maidens Tower for a dinner. Take a good guide to take you to places you have not been before or for some repeat tour.

Have fun and enjoy your stay in istanbul.

Murat from propertravel

San Francisco
Level Contributor
166 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something new........?

Like you I am drawn to Turkey and I have visited there many times. I like going to Ulus Park and having tea or lunch there. Nearby is a very romantic restaurant, Sunset, open only for dinner. I also like Park Orman in Maslak with its forest, charming outdoor cafes (in the summer) and the concerts. Sabanci Museum is along the Bosphorus and commands a great view from its gardens. Nearby is a perfect spot for traditional Turkish breakfast frequented by locals. I find loutdoor markets to be colorful and full of local flavor and zest. Thursdays is pazar day at Ulus. Most taxi drivers would know where it is (near Akmerkez). I hear the pazar in Kadikoy is also superb. I think it goes on on Tuesdays. Ortakoy is a wonderful "village" on the Bosphorus just right after Besiktas. Go there too if you haven't already been there. Have a drink at Geneviz Khavesi and walk around the mosque. Enjoy your trip and your anniversary.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something new........?

Other than what have been suggested already;

On Europe:

1. "Rumeli Hisari" is after Bebek by the Bosphorus. There are clean and neat places lined up by the sea. You may consider for a breakfast. They are favorite of many local foreigners and visitors. Best thing is you can take a walk afterwards. Visit the Rumeli Hisari, purchase exclusive unique (even for local citizens) candies from "Bebek Badem Ezmecisi" in Bebek.

2. At night have a drink at the terrace of "Hotel Armada" in SultanAhmet area. But definitely terrace otherwise do not bother. Both Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque is right there as if you can grab them. But definitely after dark.

3. Treat yourself a dinner at "Kiz Kulesi". I suggest you go online and book now a table by the window if you consider it. There are not many of them and they go first. Approximate cost is 30-40 US dollar per person.

4. They recently opened a new terrace cafe at one of the buildings by "Istiklal Street" in Taksim (the one that is closed to the traffic). "Yeni Soho - New Soho". I am sure you can find info online. If you want to take your partner's breath away by the view. Consider... Not crowded, not noisy, even have a fireplace and they really use it. (I guess not in summer:) ). Best time is an hour before the sunset.

Have a great stay...