We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamb liver

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Lamb liver

Hi All,

I know it is a bit silly question,but does anybody know wehre we can eat lamb liver in Istanbul?

I like it very much, in Germany it is not so easy to get but last year in Dalyan it was impossible too to get it. They promised us lamb liver and than served us beef liver. In Patara you could get it everywhere, grilled or with onions and pepper.

But perhaps you have a tip for us so we have not to ask in every restaurant.

Have a nice day

Patara01

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lamb liver

Hi Busy-retired,

Is the Saraya´s the same as Travelman means, the restaurant of hotel Sarayi?

Hot chocolate souffle seems to be yummy yummy for me ( I fear I will come back like a barrel)

Are you still at Istanbul or didyou go home?

I´m so exciting about my first trip to this ineresting and marvellous city.

Still two and a half weeks!

Do you have perhaps a special tip what we must do or where we must go beside the usual places?

Have a nice time

Patara01

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lamb liver

Dear Patara01: The Saray's that we visited was not connected to any hotel. When you get off of the tram an Eminonu for the Spice Bazaar you walk under the highway. You go down one set of stairs and then up another set. At the top of the stairs, the Spice Bazaar is off to your right, and Saray's is immediately to your left. I do not know if this is the only one of these in Istanbul. I suppose it is possible that there are others.

We returned from nearly one month in Istanbul the first of the week. We have traveled extensively in our lifetimes. We taught school before we retired so we spent almost every summer traveling for 35 years. We also lived in Turkey for the first two years we were married in.....1964 and 1965. I know you were not even born then. As nearly as I can tell, almost no one was.

We have always planned to return to Turkey when we retired, and it was absolutely the trip of a lifetime. I cannot tell you how difficult it was for us to leave, and how anxious we are to plan a return.

Our traveling style for the last 10 or 12 years has been to select a city, rent an apartment and dig in and get to know the city. Following that pattern we spent most of our time right in Istanbul. We did not rent a self-cataering apartment, but stayed in the Apricot Hotel in Sultanahmet.

I do not know that we did anything that other people have not discussed on the forum. We did all the things in Sultanahmet, but we did them slowly and in depth. We went to Ephesus for a couple of days. It was a good side trip, and very economical. Once you are in Turkey you can fly domestic carriers for very little money. Next year we will go to Cappadocia.

We also took a day trip on the ferry to Yalova. This is not something I would recommend since there is nothing much to see there. We went because this is where we lived when we were living in Turkey. There is a hot springs close to Yalova which is still popular. It is called Termal I believe. The Saturday market at Yalova was really fun for us, but we become very excited at a good farmer's market.

We went back to Yalova and caught a bus to Bursa. This was another good excursion. Bursa is the center of the textile industry in Turkey and we went there to shop. We got lovely towels and some beautiful pure Bursa silk pashminas. II wished I had purchased a couple of nice ties for my son-in-law. I temporarily forgot that he wears them when he goes to court.

We spent a day at the Dolmabahce Palace, and nearly another full day at Topkapi. We had a private guide for Topkapi and it was really worth the extra money for this attraction. We went to Ortokoy for the Sunday flea market, and that was an interesting experience. There are many recommendations for places to eat on the water in Ortokoy. We actually ate from a food vendor on the street selling Turkish pancakes and they were yummy!

The thing that we did that surprised us the most was shop. We never shop. I have been in our local mall no more than three times in the three years we have lived in Jacksonville, and I do not think I have spent a penny there. We hate shopping malls, and we hate shopping.

We loved the bazaars. We liked the Grand Bazaar, but it was somewhat over-powering for us. We enjoyed shopping in the Spice Bazaar and the Arrasta Bazaar (my spelling may not be correct for this bazaar) by the Blue Mosque more. We also prowled many of the streets between the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar. We knew the kinds of things that we wanted to buy in Turkey from our previous experience there so we filled our shopping lists and then some. Happy to say, my Christmas shopping is completed and I will not have to go near my local mall at all for the rest of the year.

LemonLady always tells people to visit Orhan in the Spice Market. This is absolutely a person I would stop to see. He can mix a wonderful scent for you, and he is a delightful and charming man. Don't bargain here. Pay what he asks because it is really inexpensive as it is. He will probably throw in a box of tea, and he will give you tea to drink while he makes your scent.

We also spent a couple of days visiting the new shopping malls in Istanbul. I probably would not do this if my time were limited, but they were so amazing. We visited MetroCity and Kanyon and both were much nicer than anything in our town. We did not spend much money there because they were both a little pricey, but we had lunch at each mall. It was hard for us to believe that Istanbul had such lovely shopping malls. They are also easy to reach. You just catch the Metro at Taksim and get off at Levent. Follow the signs. You do not even need to walk outside to get to MetroCity. This was an advantage for us because it was raining buckets.

We also invested part of three days in the process of purchasing carpets. I know people caution against doing this, but we were always sorry that we were not able to afford to purchase Turkish rugs when we lived in Turkey, and we were determined to come home with some this time. This is a fairly long process involving many cups of tea and/or coffee and lots of conversation. It was an entertaining event in and of itself.

We spent little time in Taksim. We are not nightclub people, and when we went out for a lengthy evening dinner and entertainment we went with the people from our hotel. We spent those evenings at the fish restaurants near the water. I would not hestitate to visit the night spots of Taksim if you are inclined to that type of entertainment, but do exercise caution when accepting drinks from strangers, and do not go anywhere with anyone.

I know that it seems like we should have done many more things in the time we were in Istanbul, but for so many years we had to follow rigid schedules so now that we are retired we enjoy the luxury of time. We lingered over breakfast at our hotel. We enjoyed leisurely lunches, and we had many, many conversations with the Turkish people in our hotel, neighborhood and those we met on the tram, at the Blue Mosque etc.

In addition, my husband just got a new camera and he spent some time taking pictures while getting used to all the new features on his camera.

We had a lovely time. I must get around to writing a report of all of our adventures. I know that you will find many wonderful things to do in Istanbul.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lamb liver

Dear Busy-retired,

thank you very much for your vivid and ineresting report of your Istanbul trip. I enjoyed reading your description of your undertakings, experiences and success (shopping).

I think you really have had a unforgettable and wonderfull vacation.

We have only one week and must decide what is important for us and what we have to postpone to the next trip.

Of course we will visit Topkapi, Hagia Spohia, Blue Mosque, Sülemanyie Mosque, Cistern, all Bazars (my huband will hate them), Dolmabahce, Taksim with Istikali Street and little neigbourstreets, we want to go to Kadiköy and perhaps have a tour to Moda,( I don´t know if it is worthfull to go to Bagdad Sreet) but we also want to stroll along the streets, enjoy the athmosphere, eat perhaps a fishsandwich under the Bridge or drink a cay or cahve in a ilttle lokanta or bar.

There a lot of things we would like to do and to see too but I don´t know if we will have enough time.

There is Pierre Loti in Eyüp, the old city wall, there are traditionel districts with really old houses, there are the University and the Book Bazar and so on.

If the weather is fine we have to choose between a Bosporus Trip or a trip to Princess Islands.

We don´t need nightlife , at the most from outside, just have look to Taksim etc. at night, ,. but I fear that we will be exhausted in the evening.

I read, that Kumkapi is very lively at night too but I suppose that the restaurants are very expensive in this district.

A lot of intentions for 7 days but we will not hurry but spend our time just like we want.

I think that you are on the right way with your kind of life. Enjoy your busy-retired status and explore the world.

We wanted to travel around the world too when we would have the time but now my husband is getting ill and we don´t know how often we can travel once again.

But now we are looking forward with empatience and joy.

Have a nice time, also at home

Patara01

I hope you are not teacher for languages, it´s a bit embarrassing for me but it is a long time ago that I learned English.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lamb liver

Dear Patara01: I think that you have some great goals for things to do during your week in Istanbul. I know that you can certainly accomplish more than we did each day, and when we were younger we did many more things each day. Now, we want to leave some things to return and do on our next visit. The only time we attempt to see everything is when we are most positive that we will not return.

I do not know how much of the world we will see. My husband wants to go to southeast Asia, and I am rather afraid of most everything about that area. We do agree on Australia and have been saving our frequent flyer miles for years towards this goal. Our trip to Turkey put us over the top so we can now take that Australian vacation with free airfare.

I am sorry that your husband is ill. I do hope that it is not serious. Do not worry about your English. I think you are exceptionally fluent, and you certainly speak much better English than I speak German. I taught logic and argumentation at the University every night, and high school speech and debate during the day. It was a busy life. I worked all day and then until about 10:00 each night. I spent every week-end from Oct. 15 until April 30 traveling with my debate squad, plus one week in June for the national tournament.

When I first retired I still did many things with the local high schools in the city where we retired. This year is the first year I have not obligated myself with week-end commitments, and we are truly spending many days traveling.

I hope that you have a wonderful experience in Turkey. I know that it was, for us, a most magical experience.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lamb liver

Dear Busy -retired,

thank you very much for your kind reply.

We wish you a wonderful and unforgettable trip to Australia, it will be a highlight I suppose.Do you have in mind to go to New Sealand too?

Both are our absolute "dream-countries". At the moment it is not attainable for us but perhaps one day, you never know.

But we have a little dream too: to go by car across Turkey and stop just where we like it. We know the coast from Ayvalik till Alanya but we want to go to Cappadocia, Nemrut, Silifke etc We like Turkey and want get to know more of it.

My husband is seriously ill but he has a chance to be cured and than we will travel through the world.

We are always thinking positiv .

You mentionend South Asia. Friends of us are just returned from Thailand /Phuket and they are very disappointed. They have been there about ten years ago and now many things have changed but not positivly.

There are a lot of terrible tourists with very bad behaviour, the prices have climbed up and tourism has destroied a lot of the authentic athmosphere.

But I´m sure that there are still nice and not so overflowing districts.

You mentionend too that your husband had made photos.

Do you have the intention to show them in TA?

I think it would be very interesting for us members.

Have a nice time

Patara01

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lamb liver

Dear patara01: We have talked a little about driving in Turkey. We would not have considered it forty years ago, but in our experiences outside of Istanbul we were impressed with the roads. We also have friends that rented a car last summer and drove all over Turkey. It would be very nice to have the freedom that driving your own automobile gives you when vacationing.

Thank you for your information on southeast Asia. I shall use it in my discussions with my husband about why I think there are lots of places we can visit before this area.

We do plan on visiting both Australia and New Zealand. Hopefully it will be a little easier for us since we should not have quite so many problems with the language, and we do have some aquaintences we made many years ago who are Australian.

I hope you find your liver dish in Turkey. My best wishes for your husband's health. It is difficult to do anything when one is worried about your spouse's health. We have had a few health-related incidents and they were most taxing and difficult for us. So I will say a little prayer for you. Have a great vacation in Turkey.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lamb liver

Thank you so much for your sincere wishes, it is very kind of you.

When we are back I will write something about our experiences, perhaps we are able to make a little video but we are no technic freaks.

Have a nice time and of course an unforgettable trip to Australia

Patara01

18. Re: Lamb liver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 29, 2009