We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with beggars

3 posts
Save Topic
Dealing with beggars

It's my first day at istanbul and I and my family got harassed multiple times at first day !!

I have sympathy for them , but what are they doing by following you for hunderd meter is thing no one could stand it , is there any advice of how to deal with them and save my trip..

Best regards.

7 replies to this topic
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dealing with beggars

Maybe we were lucky on our trip

But we never seen any beggers no one hassled us or asked for anything

Only thing we seen were children selling tissues

2. Re: Dealing with beggars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, October 21, 2017

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dealing with beggars

Please ignore dmac80’s nasty response.

However, I’m pretty sure begging is illegal in Turkey, so personally i’d make it obvious I was going to look for a police officer.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
812 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dealing with beggars

Beggars in İstanbul and all of Turkey are rare and police chase them away. I won't count the old women (more common in İstanbul) and children (more common in the east of the country) who sell packages of tissues as "beggars". Like many Turks I buy the tissues even if the children selling them in the east will swarm at obvious tourists.

These things said, the ongoing war in Syria has brought a great number of Syrians (mainly men) to İstanbul and other parts of Turkey where they do almost anything to get money to send to their families often in refugee camps near the Syrian border.

If you are what you appear from your picture--an expensively dressed Arabian in traditional clothing--I suspect your experience with beggars is from Arab refugees who believe you are likely to help them and not from permanent Turkish residents.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dealing with beggars

Thank you for your response , the man Shawn in the picture is famous poetry man , not me, I wear most commonly American eagle jeans and un named shirt brand . The help they need is not donaintg for them in the street, I have read in the news the turkey government found that their daile income reach more than 600 tl ,

I even tried to help one of them by giving him 10 tr but he asked for 100 tl !! ,

I found that ignoring them is the pest solution most of the time .

Thank you all for responding

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
355 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dealing with beggars

I have had the exact opposite experience. In fact I came to the forum to ask "where are the refugee children?" I am concerned the city banished them or something. In 5 days in Sultanahmet, Taksim, Kadikoy and Uskudar, I was hit up far more by carpet touts than beggars (regardless of age). I'm Taksim some kids were annoyingly singing but hey at least they were busking for their money. I saw one tissue seller (Plus 2 blind adults standing in place) and one boy who looked pretty haggard simply wandering with his hands out. That was it in 5 days of being out and about. Fewer than my hometown in America (that's the truth - lots of homeless there).

I'm genuinely curious if there is a part of town the refugees have been concentrated. Their situation cannot have improved all that much in the last 2 years. I know the amount of need has been a strain on Turkey, as it has been everywhere close enough or open enough to take them in.

Edited: 8:14 am, November 06, 2017
Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dealing with beggars

Please ignore all baggers and refugees...

They are only exploiting your goodwill… Your donations can not solve a problem or help them…

Most of the beggars and refugees actually do not need your donations to live…

Selling napkins, looking dirty and needy are part of their game…

They drug the babies or little children to sleep all day when they are bagging….

Syrians, legally are not refugees, the officials found a grey area and created a different terminology for them…

Reply to: Dealing with beggars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted