We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul in December

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul in December

Hi,

We have visited Istanbul twice before towards end of December which we felt was OK but a bit cold.

Is anyone planning to visit this December - I have been looking at dates for 25-31 Dec as there seem to be cheap flights at this time. Just asking as if I remember, it snowed quite heavily around this time last year on New Years Eve I think when flights were grounded.

Just curious to know if anyone is visiting on the above dates.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
20 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul in December

Well what can I say - I couldn't wait longer so I've gone ahead and booked 25-31 Dec as I got a good deal on flights so here we come again Istanbul for the fourth time.

Mentioned in this post
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul in December

4time?.is istanbul so excited for you?.can you describe me about turkey?.i already buy grup tour to turkey on december but i look in gogle all of tbe destinstion is just ordinary

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul in December

Aria - Why book a tour if you don't like the look of the destinations?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
377 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul in December

Boat, so you're heading back to Istanbul! So happy and excited for you! My first visit was in Dec too and I loved it! Yes it was cold amd snowy but I think Istanbul looks even more magical covered in snow. Also, I live in hot & humid Singapore so I love going on winter holidays. Have fun and don't forget to share updates with us here. Which reminds me, I still have to post my TR from my visit last spring!

Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,609 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul in December

"I have been looking at dates for 25-31 Dec as there seem to be cheap flights at this time"

I am surprised it would be cheap at that time of year.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
377 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul in December

Flights on xmas day and nye are usually cheap as those who celebrate those days are not keen to fly on those 2 dates. I've done this myself a few times and got really good deals!

Pune, India
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul in December

I am also planning to visit on same days.

First time to instanbul....quite excited...

Please suggest non-tourist places to visit.planning to stay there for 5 days.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul in December

Thanks all for your comments - just in case people would like to know the cost of flights on these dates, it cost me 150GBP each passenger with Luftansa.

wallasey uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul in December

i am returning to istanbul on the 13th november got what i think a good deal, fights and 4 nights at Orient Express hotel and airport transfers 350GBP

Mentioned in this post
Orient Express Hotel
Orient Express Hotel
1,810 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul in December

I'll be there December 23 (actually leaving California the 22nd) through January 2, 2018 and am so looking forward to it. I am traveling solo (which I enjoy), but people seem to think it's not that safe for female travelers. To each his/her own, I suppose. I am a vegan, so I've already got my lists of vegan Turkish foods and vegan-friendly restaurants ready. I also have a Turkish friend here in California on standby for translation purposes, but I do plan to learn a little of the language as well. I'll be staying in Sultanahmet, which seems to be close to most of the main tourist sites. Can't wait - already getting excited. And, yes, I will bring a scarf for the mosques and my wits to avoid the street scams. It was interesting to learn about the bar scam aimed at solo male travelers...would you really go off and have a drink with a stranger?

Reply to: Istanbul in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted