We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is needed for VAT?

Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
What is needed for VAT?

Hi,

About to leave after a great trip, but want to make sure we can get our VAT refund for carpets. What exactly do we need to show to make that happen? We have certificates, and a separate receipt with one. Do we need a special Global Tax Refund receipt, or do we need multiple certified receipt copies? Details out there are sparse and somewhat conflicting.... Thanks so much!

Excited now to get home and post about our trip/experiences...

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is needed for VAT?

Hi: try this helpful site by Rick Steves: www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/vat.htm

I am sure other posters will give you their personal experiences on VAT in Turkey. You're right the info out there is confusing to say the least. Let's try and clear it up here on the forum. Any VAT experts out there? LemonLady

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is needed for VAT?

dear DahveedG, as far as I know, you needed to get a Global Tax Refund receipt at the time of payment from the merchant. Normal receipts are not valid as a normal receipt means the VAT has been added to the goods, these are not accepted in the VAT return in the airport. You need to tell the merchants you want 'tax free' documents/receipt and most places prepare this for you.

I don't know VAT on carpets but on clothes VAT amounts have been reduced to 8% last year and you get about 4-5% net at the airport after all the cuts. You need to take your goods and tax free receipt to the VAT return counter or room before you check in your suitcases and then you can claim your cash at a counter just after passaport near the food court (this is Ataturk airport) They give your many back in multiple currencies including US Dollars. Hope this helps.

Looking forward to reading about your trip,

Kozano.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is needed for VAT?

Hi DahveedG

I had one experience when I was still living in Holland. I collected from all the shops the special VAT refund vouchers, as Kozano says you do need a special bill.

At the airport you have to go to customs and give these receipts, sometimes they want to see the goods too.

Then a few months later I received a cheque which was just a small part of the VAT that I had paid for.

Good luck!

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is needed for VAT?

Dumb question. Are hotel bills excluded from this refund? I had to pay 18% tax on the hotel.

5. Re: What is needed for VAT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 28, 2009