We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Socks in Mosque?

Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Socks in Mosque?

HI everyone!

I'm apologizing in advance for what is probably a REALLY stupid question, but I honestly don't know the answer and want to do the right thing when I'm in Istanbul!

When I go to the Blue Mosque, I know I need to take off my shoes. Now, I've read people saying to make sure to wear socks, but I'm not sure if that's just personal preference or an actual rule.

In other words... Can you be barefoot, or do you need to have socks on? How about stockings?

I'm asking because the shoes I bring will depend on this.

Thanks so much,

Melissa :)

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Socks in Mosque?

Good Grief! The World Bank must be in sad shape if it's chairman can't afford to buy a new pair of socks. LL

Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Socks in Mosque?

Melissa, i can understand your problem with feet. I can't find any shoes for absoult comfort , except WIDE tennies. Trust me, in Istanbul, especially at the mosque, no one is looking at your feet. Too many sights to see, and your feet will be the last thing!! Go for comfort. enjoy

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Socks in Mosque?

Hi Melissa,

I have problems with my feet too: size 9, it is quite big for women shoes in Germany.

And I just have broken one toe and so I fear I will not be able to wear something else than sneakers (with socks, bladders!) when we are in Istanbul in April (maybe too cold for sandals).

I don´t like it so much in a city, because I´m no longer very young, but I don´t mention it. I think nobody will look to my feet.

I wish you a very very nice time in Istanbul

14. Re: Socks in Mosque?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 25, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now