We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
6 posts
Save Topic
Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

My husband and I fly to Turkey next week. We will have 8 days in country, and plan to spend the first three in Instanbul, then would like to venture out. We are interested in Gallipoli, Troy, Ephesus, etc....

Could someone please recommend the places we should see, and estimated travel time (by car)? Also, should we plan to fly back to Istanbul to save the travel time? How far do you think we could get down the coast?

Any hotel recommendations would also be appreciated. Middle of the road--we'd like to stay away from the bare bones places, but also are not interested in luxury places.

I would love to hire a car & driver for the 5 days of traveling. Can anyone recommend a person? Someone with email would be preferred, but if not, I can call when we get to Instanbul.

Thanks so much. I am looking forward to our trip!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

I think my first advise to you would be to throughly read these pages as they will offer som great advise from getting to Gellipoli and Troy from Istanbul.

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

If you end up with a driver and have more freedom of travel then also read my trip report from Feb of this year.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k9882…

Aslo my photos from our trip are also available on this page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

I would also receommend that with your limited time with travelling next week that you could contact Insight Travel for help with your planning.

http://www.tour-turkey.com/index.htm

email - info@tour-turkey.com

I think that Rina could help you with some ideas and possibly for a car and driver.

good luck and have a great trip.

CanMom

Ankara
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

Hi,

You have so many places to go in so little time. I understand you dont think of going to Cappadoccia. (you could fly there and stay 2-3 days, a unique place in the world. You could then use the remaining days in Selcuk to see Ephesus. You could also fly to Izmir to go to Selcuk (60 kms), of course that is if you are not that much interested in Gallipoli-it may not be that important if you are not Australian or New Zellander.)

On the other hand, if you are not going to go to Cappadoccia, after 3 days in Istanbul, then you'll have 5 more days. You can of course hire a driver but why dont you hire a car and drive yourself. It is not that difficult. (each day youll have to drive 3-5 hours in average, except day 4 and 5.) Here is a possible itinerary:

Day 1. See Gallipoli and stay in Canakkale, (you should leave early from Istanbul, it would take about 5 hours)

Day 2. See Troy and Assos and stay in Ayvalik

Day 3. see Pergammum and stay in Selcuk (near Ephesus)

Day 4. see Ephesus, also Sirince (stay in Selcuk, both 10 kms apart.)

Day 5. fly from Izmir (60 kms to Selcuk) to Istanbul.

I hope this was not confusing

NewYork/USA and...
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

Here is my recommendation:

You can fly to Cappadocia (Kayseri) or Izmir:

If you fly to Cappadocia rent a car there and drive to Cappadocia and stay here 2 nights then drive to Konya there are lots of places to visit on the way and stay overnight in Konya. After Konya drive to Pamukkale stay overnight here and visit Pamukkale and Hierapolis.

Then drive to Ephesus via APRODISIAS and stay in SIRINCE 2 night after visiting Ephesus and other important place fly back to Istanbul then to NYC.

If you need more help write me to sinan_akdeniz@msn.com I am in Turkey and NOW I am going to ANKARA with VARAN, I am writting this post on the BUS. I LOVE TECHNOLOGY

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

Thank you all for your input. The recommendations were very helpful, especially the information about driving times. I will be sure to let you know what we end up with and provide feedback!

5. Re: Need help planning an 8-day visit to Turkey--FOR NEXT WEEK!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 25, 2009