We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Hello All: at the insistence of my wife, LemonLady, I am writing this post since it seems a man's perspective is needed.

We first visited Istanbul in 1992 on a tour of Turkey. We ditched the tour since it was not conducive to our way of traveling. We wanted to go off the beaten path and our tour guide was not very amenable to our thinking and this caused friction. In fact a couple of times I though he and LemonLady who is usually kind and loving and Ahmet the guide were going to duke it out.

So we traveled around and reached Istanbul where we stayed at the Hilton, which we liked very much. We set about seeing the sites. We liked Taxim which has changed a lot since then .

We saw the major sites in Sultanahmet, walked around Galata and Ortokoy and enjoyed the scenery and meeting people. The next year we decided to take the children, the youngest was 1-1/2 then and they had a great time. We have been back every year since and Istanbul has provided us with many happy memories. In fact LemonLady became very attached to Istanbul and I did too. A few years ago we acquired a house in Sultahahmet which required major renovation and in which we hope to spend significant time when LemonLady can pry herself away from the music business. We made a lot of friends in Istanbul and we are constantly making more. Our neighbors are wonderful and although there was some trepidation in the beginning about all those Americans moving in that vanished at once.

Now to what I like in Istanbul. Since LemonLady is a world class shopper the boys and I and now the grandchildren often go off and see other things. Naval museum is a favorite of mine, military museum too. I like the mosaics at Chora very much. I also like the Museum of Islamic Art which I think is sometimes overlooked by visitors. We have been to the soccer matches, we root for Fenerbahce of course. I like the bookstore on Diwan Yolu and Vakko shop as well as Nakkas, filled with antiques. I also enjoy the Hammam, men are sometimes a little apprehensive about going but it is really relaxing. I like seeing the sunset from rooftops and Efes beer.

We love to eat out. Since I love fish we have tried a lot fish restaurants. Unfortunately I did not get to go with LL to Kordon Fish Restaurant in September but look forward to going when next in Istanbul. I like Nevizade Street too, Boncuk is my favorite there. Some strange stuff on the menu but all very tasty.

We like to go out at night. Have visited clubs and gone to events at the Ataturk Center, gallery openings and the local cinema.

I have to remark that LemonLady's passion for Istanbul and Turkey in general is genuine and I am behind her efforts to promote Turkey as a great travel destination. Americans seem so dense when it comes to information on Turkey, they seem to pick up on all the wrong things and ignore all of the right things.

Well LL is standing over me to read what I have written. I hope she approves and I haven't bored anyone. I don't think I have her knack for posting. Anyway, that's all and of course I must say Happy Travel, Pookie Bear Husband

PS: LL says I did not make Istanbul sound exciting in this post but it really is.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Thank you Pookie Bear Husband for your wonderful words. Warm wishes and regards from Antalya !!!!

CanMom

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Thank you Pookie Bear Husband for this informative post! My daughter and I are going to Istanbul in July, and it's uncertain at this time if my husband will be able to join us. If he can, however, I'm sure he'll enjoy the Military Museum (he's retired military) and the other things that you do when you there. My daughter and I have it all figured out now...Orhan's perfumes for us, Military Museum for him, shopping for us, Naval Museum for him. See...it all works out beautifully! (Of course, we'll go to all those places with him and enjoy them immensely too!) And no, you haven't bored anybody! The more viewpoints we get about Istanbul the better! It was great hearing from you, and I hope you'll give us more tips as you think of them!

Jo

Suva City
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Pookie Bear Husband, I enjoyed reading your post, thank you very much, glad you wrote your view (even though it sounds as if you had a back-seat driver!). It came through loud and clear that you enjoy Istanbul just as much as LL does. Cheers. H

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Pookie Bear, great post. I really enjoyed reading it and it shows me there are so many more places I have to visit when I finally get to return to Istanbul.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

hi pookie bear enjoyed reading your post and i am just waiting for my hubby to come back from doing the weekly shopping to show him it! he s' not computer literate at all so fingers crossed a mans opinion might sway him to take me to istanbul! hope your daughters birthday party went well and hangovers are not in place have a nice day from luckysandy in bonny and believe it or not we have sunshine today! scotland x x x

London, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Hello PBH. Thanks for your useful comments, even if they were written under duress from your other half ;-)

As an aside, I was interested to learn that LL is in the music business. LL, I'm sure you've heard of the late Ahmet Ertegun of Atlantic Records - who, I am sure you will be aware was originally from Istanbul. I always find it amazing that one of the great US record producers (and occasional songwriters) was actually from Istanbul! As I understand it he was also co-founder of NY Cosmos soccer - or what we Brits correctly call football - team.

Anyway, looking forward to going to Istanbul at the end of the month. I'm sure it will be a feast for eyes and the palate! Thanks for all the tips.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

Hello: thank you for all the compliments, glad I could be of some assistance.

Docfar, thank you for bringing up Mr. Ahmet Ertegun. A true giant of the music industry and a man who was both a friend and mentor to myself and LemonLady too. He was talented but what makes him special, in an industry often known to be cuthroat , was that he conducted himself in a manner that endeared him to artists and executives alike. He had integrity and both LL and I sincerely mourn his passing.

I did want to mention one thing that I left our of my Istanbul narrative was that men should visit a barber. Turkish shaves are terrific. I like a shop called Suleyman the Berber (that's the spelling) in Taxim but there are many good ones.

LemonLady is about to push me away from the computer so she can do her posts so have a pleasant day all. PBH

London, England
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

LL/PBH - Wow, I didn't realise you actually new Ahmet Ertegun. The first I heard of him was when I watched the movie 'Ray'. I learn from Wikipedia that he has in fact been buried back in Istanbul (in Uskudar). He was linked with some great artists wasn't he? (e.g. Ray Charles, Bobby Darin, Led Zepplin and The Rolling Stones).

Anyhow, the thing I was most looking forward to, on my arrival in Istanbul was a visit to a hammam, probably Cemberlitas - unless you can suggest somewhere better or less touristy.

However, now that you mention it, a 'proper' barber's shave has jumped to the top of my list. I find shaving one of the most tedious chores! Thanks for the name of the place in Taxim. Do you know anywhere good in Sultanahmet?

Also, without meaning to sound like an ignorant westerner, I assume the use of disposable, sterile razors is commonplace.

9. Re: Why I Like Istanbul-Pookie Bear Husband

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, August 20, 2009