We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in-season produce

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
4 posts
Save Topic
in-season produce

I am terribly excited about the food I plan to eat in Istanbul. Most of the reading I have done talks about the freshness of fruits and vegetables that can't possible be in season in February, can they? What is in-season these days?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: in-season produce

Hi livelife06,

We for one thing the strawberry season is just starting. Washinton oranges are also in season. We are lucky here in Antalya as many of the fruits and veggies are locally produced and then shipped to Istanbul therfore the costs of produce is lower here than in Istanbul. When I get around to the local produce bazaar I can fill you in with more details.

CanMom

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: in-season produce

Thanks canmon. I will also be watching for your evaluation of the produce markets when you are shopping. We lived in Turkey near Istanbul many years ago. Even then I remember purchasing warm climate fruits, and out-of-season fruit like stawberries, at the little local produce stands. That produce came from southern Turkey. I was always surprised because even then the produce appeared fresher, and it certainly tasted better than the produce I had been purchasing in US grocery stores. I can only imagine that the passing years have further improved transportation so I am counting on a wide choice of fruit even thought we plan to be there in March.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: in-season produce

Hi livelife: I have never been in Turkey when the fruits and vegetables did not taste perfectly wonderful. Naturally summer and fall are best times for some, such as the wonderful peaches and melons (ooh I wish had some right now). Even last winter, filming in remote places in East Turkey there were fruits and veggies that tasted great. I have no clue where they came from but have no worry you will be food heaven. Let us know about what you ate, we love food posts on this forum. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: in-season produce

Hi Busy-retired,

I will have to get back to after my day shopping for produce. I'll keep in touch. As for those little corner stores selling fruits and veggies ( manav ) they are still around with vibrant colors.

Dear LemonLady,

Sorry dear you will have to wait till summer for those peaches !!! It was so great on our trip to drive around as see all the different fruit trees especially the millions of Olive groves on the Aegaen coastline. Also not to be out down by the many trees already blooming with pink flowers. I think badem trees ( almond ) The weather has been so mild that the trees have already budded a bit.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: in-season produce

Hi tommorrow is the bazaar day for me in my local area. I will let you know which fruits are out and available. Also right now great winter oranges and apples.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: in-season produce

Hi canmon - I am anxious to hear your report of the produce market. I very much enjoyed your post on Ephesus.

I grew up on a farm in Idaho, so I did not have a sophisticated background in the various fruits and vegetables around the world before I left my home for Turkey. Once in Turkey I found these beautiful golden orbes of fruit that were the exact color, and close to the shape of a huge golden delicious apple. I bought several and went home to make dessert. Long story short, the fruit was quince, which does not lose it's bitter flavor when baked in a pie.

It took me several weeks to correctly identify the fruit, so I suffered a huge blow to my self-esteem when I thought I had somehow ruined the "apples".

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: in-season produce

Hi Busy-retired,

great story...he he.... I guess that the weekly going to the local produce market is not as such a big deal for me anymore that I really don't think to much about it. But tomorrow I will pay close attention to which fruits are available for this time of the year. also I think I saw kiwis last week too.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: in-season produce

PS,

don't forget about the great selection of dried fruits and nuts....dried figs, plums, apricots etc and the nuts of walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower etc......

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: in-season produce

Hi Guys: busyretired, I loved your story about quince, which for me was an acquired taste although the pookie bear husband likes it a lot, CanMom how I wish I were with you to go to the market. It is one of my great joys to visit the makets all over Turkey. Fresh tomatoes, melons and peaches are my favorites. I long for that produce when in NY where even for high prices such delights are not to be had...alas. I remember a recent post by Harbiye telling about eating tomatos and yogurt and I do the same, lovely yogurt, lovely tomatos and cucumbers and succulent olives and spicy pickled peppers and wonderful cheese with great breads not to mention Kars honey in the comb. Well enough torture I'll be back in Turkey soon and I will indulge myself in all of these delights. Happy Eating, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: in-season produce

Hi all!

Today İ had a great day in İstanbul. İ behaved as a tourist with my Turkish husband and we had so much fun.

İ will write a post about the experiences, surprise for LemonLady...

What İ saw today on the market are the first strawberries (green house though) bananas, imported ones, the fantastic turkish bananas are easy to find on the Mediterranean.

What is easy to find are oranges, mandarins, apples and pears. The best are called 'dev' (giant) they are so juicy! And now fresh from last years harvest are all kind of nuts and dried dates, figs, apricots etc.

And do not hesitate to buy roasted chestnuts, these men are everywhere with their hot charcoal.

And also for the winter season are 2 very specific drinks, Boza a yeast drink, served cold with cinnamon and Salep (orchid root drink) served hot with cinnemon and ginger powder. The latter is more easy to find in restaurants and on the ferry.

Afiyet Olsun!