We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip Istanbul to Dalaman

London, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip Istanbul to Dalaman

Hello all,

We're going to Istanbul for 5 days in September and then spending a week on the coast near Bodrum. Instead of an internal flight, we'd like to drive down (picking the car up in Istanbul and dropping it off at Dalaman airport). We're keen to go off the beaten track and see some pretty towns and villages and then break the journey up by spending the night roughly half way.

Does anyone have any route suggestions and also good places to stay? Would like to try and avoid as many tourist traps as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip Istanbul to Dalaman

Hello,

may I ask you first of all why you do not drop the car off in Bodrum or at Bodrum airport?

The secondly, I can just recommend a road trip, it is my favorite way to get in Istanbul (from near Fehtiye). We usually spend the night in or near Afyon as for us ,t is about half way, so that nicely cuts the trip in two.

The problem is a bit, as you mention you want to stay away from tourist areas, is that where are no tourists there is normally no request for accommodation so hardly anything available unless in a certain sized town.

Personally I love to stay in Güral Harlek in Ilice, just north of Kütahya and near the Phrygian Valley. I think the Phrygain valley is a stunning place and on nobody's list to visit.

And then depending on where you drop off the car, you either drive over Burdur, Fethiye to Dalaman. Or via Muğla to either Dalaman or possibly Bodrum. Muğla is another lovely town to spend a night. There are only a handful of hotels. The town has a very lovely old part, not big but big enough to enjoy it. It is a typical modern Turksih town where you will not meet many foreigners.

Hope this helps for a start, if your plan comes more clear I would love to help out if I can!

2. Re: Roadtrip Istanbul to Dalaman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Turkey