We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Topic
Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

Hello all,

I will hopefully be going on honeymoon in Turkey in late October or early November. Our plane tickets would be about $2000 USD and we would have $3000 more to spend on hotels, food, any traveling within the country, etc for 2 people - basically all other expenses.

We'd like to spend 14-15 days if possible, including 4 days in Istanbul, perhaps visits to Troy, Ephesus, Pamukkale, Cappadocia... no set plans yet but would like to get around the country a bit as money permits.

Do you think $3000 USD sounds like enough? Or should we be considering a shorter trip, maybe 10 days? We don't need to stay in the fanciest hotels, but since it's a honeymoon we would like fairly nice, maybe 3-star. I'm fine with street food for lunch but would like some nicer meals for dinners.

I've read different estimates, anywhere from $70 to $200 per person per day for a midrange trip, so would like to hear your thoughts.

(Another note.. if we go in early/mid November airfare is much cheaper, so we'd have more money for other things, but I've read that the weather gets much cooler and rainier towards November. Would it be worth saving a lot on airfare or should we splurge on hopefully nicer weather?)

thank you!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

Mo Z, welcome to Tukey.

I personally would say a budget but not too restrictive travel would be about 100 USD/night for a hotel and about 70-80 USD/day/person for food, transport, museum fees, small souvenirs, incidentals, etc. This adds about 150 USD/perdon/day + 100 USD/day (hotel) for expenses for a total of 250 USD/day. That would carry you about 12 days and still remain budget. So I would suggest a reasonable travel plan of 12-13 days.. Btw, here is a meaningful price and cost of living comparison between Pittsburgh and Istanbul, that would give you an idea about prices in Turkey: "http://tinyurl.com/ba9g2pm".

I would make a 12 days travel plan for you. I suggest (5+1) days for Istanbul, 3 days at Selcuk/Ephesus and 3 days at Cappadocia. I would spend first 5 days in Istanbul and my last day again in Istanbul. You can fly from Istanbul to Izmir and base yourself at Selcuk. Have a look at my recent trip report on Selcuk/Ephesus and beyond, based upon personal travel experience: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…". I recommend Paris Hotel as budget hotel for you at Selcuk. (36 Euros/night for two). I strongly suggest you rent a car and discover Aphrodisias and Pamukkale and Kusadasi besides, Ephesus. Here is a nice blog about driving in Turkey: "nobleanarchist.com/blog/…".

You can take an overnight bus from Izmir to Cappadocia (Goreme) or fly by Sun Express and Pegasus Airlines. Sometimes flights are cheaper than a bus. And fly back to Istanbul from Kayseri or Nevsehir (cappadocia). For flight schedules and fares, you can use "www.aerobilet.com" but make your reservations from the airlines own websites. At Cappadocia, I recommend a balloon flight if your budget allows for it.

You can skip Troy, as it is out of the way and there is not much to see there.

Enjoy Turkey,

enigma...

Edited: 12:52 am, May 17, 2013
Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

thanks, enigma! very helpful!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

That will work for sure, as Enigma gives you ideas of prices, İ like to say that once out of İstanbul prices of hotels can be easily less than 100 USD and still you can stay in nice boutique hotels. Just do a good research.

Food in Turkey is cheap, alcoholic drinks are expensive.

And judging your list, things to do İ would suggest to skip Troy (and possible add a place on the coast as you can still enjoy late summer) and focus on the other places you mention. Traveling by bus is always cheap, it can be tiring on long distance though, and doing a good check on the available domestic flights, flying can be a good option too!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

First of all i would like to congratulate you for choosing a great destination for your honeymoon. I went for my honeymoon last year in early december and we did it in 3600 dollars including inside country travel shopping for 10 days with almost the same route i.e. starting at Imzir-selcuk-pamukkale-cappdocia-istanbul.

I will say you can do it. all you require is planning, book tickets in advance, and look out for offers. please do not go for agents. Turkey is a very friendly country and you should not face any problems. You will be surprised that in 3600 dollars only we managed to stay in suites in the best hotels in the town (Ephesus Suites and Kelebek hotel) and included butterfly balloon ride for two and Dinner at Galata tower.

If you book air tickets in advance you can save a lot. for example we landed in istanbul and from the same airport we took immediate flght to Izmir by Atlasjet. Atlasjet gives free drop to Selcuk. Thats where you save money. Our hotels in Cappadocia and Hotel Basilius also gave us free one way airport drop.

You can go around on your own, i will seriously suggest do not book any tours for Istanbul. We had bosphorus cruise for two in 5 USD for both people. Same with princes island. These yacht and boats are alongside and yelling 5 TL one person.

So being there and done that, i will say that you can do it in 3000 dollars for 12 days. Two days is more than enough for Selcuk. For pamukkale, you leave in morning bus to pamuukale spend lunch, noon in pamukkale and leave overnight to cappadocia. If you stay more than full three days in cappadocia, you will start getting bored. For istanbul, I had say keep at least five full days. We booked a tour from Nese tour (150 dollars for couple), they sent a merc car for pick up at our hotel in selcuk, drove us to pamukkale, then lunch and thereafter,visit to pamukkale, then drop to bus station for onward bus journey to goreme (bus ticket included in 150USD).

you may ask me further queries if you have, Enjoy your honeymoon

Woodbridge, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

@bharat1985, did you book your hotel ahead of time or after getting there?

6. Re: Is $3000 enough for two weeks in Turkey for hotel, food etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 28, 2014