We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day trip: Aegean Coast - Lycian Coast - Istanbul

New York
7 posts
Save Topic
10 Day trip: Aegean Coast - Lycian Coast - Istanbul

Hi!

I will be traveling to Istanbul between July 30-Aug 8 with a small group of friends. We would like to spend the first 6 days traveling along the Aegean and Lycian coasts, and then we will fly back to Istanbul for the last 4 days.

Does anyone have a sample itinerary for the coastal travel? Further north, I would like to see Ephesus and Pamukkale. On the Lycian coast, however, I'm a bit lost! Because we are traveling during high tourism season, I'm hoping to find more scenic, budget-friendly towns with less crowds. Where should we go, and how long should we spend in each coastal town? Also, Is it possible to take buses between the towns, or should we rent a car?

Thanks!

Edited: 11:53 am, March 14, 2013
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day trip: Aegean Coast - Lycian Coast - Istanbul

Try Cirali, Adrasan, Demre, Ucagiz, Patara and/or Dalyan or Koycegiz, and later Herakleia and Selcuk for budget friendly towns. They will still be hot but they will also be within easy rech of a great deal of antiquity and beach also with decent, reasonably priced lodging and restaurants with reasonable fare and prices.

There is so much there that you may decide to leave Pamukkale for another visit.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day trip: Aegean Coast - Lycian Coast - Istanbul

All Lycian sites are pretty far away from the crowds, all are obviously on the Lycian Way, a walking trail, but it will be very hot in high summer to do this on foot. İf you like to see Ephesus and Pamukkale, it would be easiest to travel down to Fethiye and start there to. You can stay in Faralya or Kabak first of all, far away from the crowds, with some stunning views over the Mediterranean. İf you want to travel further İ am afraid you have to travel back to Fethiye first and then go to Karadere (hardly any staying tourists so there is just simple accommodation), you are pretty close to Letoon and Xantos and on the west end of the 12 kilometer long beach. The other side there is Patara.with the ruins of Patara. Then travel a bit inland, there is Tlos, a lovely location and very close to Saklikent gorge. if you visit the gorge early in the morning you will leave befoer the crowds come. You can stay easily in that area.

İf you stay in Patara it is possible to do a day trip to the sunken city of Kekova.

A shame you days are limited! Hope this helps!

3. Re: 10 Day trip: Aegean Coast - Lycian Coast - Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Turkey