We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go or Should I stay??

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Should I go or Should I stay??

I'm planning a one-week trip to Turkey but because of the recent happenings in the Arabic world, should I postpone my journey? I will be travelling from Brazil to Paris and them to Turkey next mid-april.

Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go or Should I stay??

There are many people from the "Arabic World" as you call it, in Paris, so maybe you should not go there. But there are hardly any in Turkey. So Turkey should be safer from your perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go or Should I stay??

As an "independent" observer, Alberto, I would point out to you that in the first place, Turks are not Arabs - it's a bit like saying that Brazilians are the same as Argentinians and it's something you should get very clear and a mistake you should avoid!

Secondly, the Turkish political system bears no relationship to the autocratic regimes of North Africa or the Persian Gulf/Arabia. Regular elections are held at all levels and governments and councils come and go. No one would claim it to be the cleanest democracy in the world - it has had military coups in the past, but such things have occurred in other countries too, as you should well know.

So, forget about there being any chance of the sort of unrest going on in the Arab world and also ignore those who may come along to tell you that Turkey is some sort of Disneyland/Paradise full of humble friendly natives. Neither is the case.

You'll find that Turkey is a young, vibrant country with a huge history, full of contradictions, very interesting and very safe to visit.

Boa viagem.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go or Should I stay??

As Dudisimo says Turkey is not an Arabic country and if you call a Turk an Arab they wont be happy about it!

Turkey is also nowhere near Libya, in fact Paris is probably closer. Turkey is also a democratic country unlike the countries where there have been trouble.

Don't let any of the happenings in the Middle East put you off from visiting , these events are completely irrelevant to Turkey.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
4. Re: Should I go or Should I stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, October 27, 2012