We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa before leaving Canada

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa before leaving Canada

We are going to Turkey in May with a tour group so we will need to get our Visa before leaving Canada. The information we have received says that we need to fill out an application and mail it with our passports and money to the Turkish embassy in Ottawa. Does anyone know how much time we need to allow for this? I don't want to send off my application too far in advance as I understand the visa is only for 3months.

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

If you check this thread posted by Dudisimo - "Visa fees - 2010 Turkey" - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k33… - you will see that it says that for a holder of a Canadian passport, you can get a visa stuck in your passport at your point of entry at a cost of $60 or EUR 45. This was the information for last year and, as far as I know, the Turkish Foreign Ministry have not yet published the info for this year - but certainly, in the past at least, there was never any need for a Canadian to get their visa in advance- although I have read before of overseas cruise and tour companies charging extortionate fees for obtaining the visas on behalf of their guests.

I hope you group enjoy your trip to Turkey!

y

Edited: 6:08 pm, February 13, 2011
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

Hi Otto,

Welcome to Turkey. You should really get your visa at the airport upon your arrival to Istanbul. Have a look at Foreign Ministry's website: "mfa.gov.tr/visa-fees-at-border-gates-for-201…". For Canadians the cost of a visa is 60 USD or 45 Euro.

enigma...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

Thank you for the quick responses. I was aware that we could get our Visa at the airport when we arrived in Turkey. The only thing I was worried about was it taking some time and we end up missing our transfer to our hotel. Would you know if it takes a long time to get the visa at the airport?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

About 30 seconds/applicant.

enigma...

Edited: 1:41 am, February 14, 2011
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

Like the question "How long is a piece of string?", it depends on how long the queue is. First you have to queue to pay for the visa itself, like a large postage stamp and then you have to go to the Immigration line, where the official will stamp your visa with the entry date. The last time I went through Istanbul - in December - it took no more than 20 minutes in total and there was a long line.

In my many years of travelling worldwide, 99 percent of the time you've cleared immigration some time before your bags appear on the carousel, whatever country or airport you're in, so I would not worry about missing your hotel transfer - the people who run such concerns are well aware of the time it takes to progress through the airport once your plane has landed and won't go without you.

6. Re: Visa before leaving Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 am, March 06, 2012