We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

We are visiting Turkey for the first time in May. Unfortunately our flight doesn't get in till after dark. We will have a hire car, but wondered how long, and what the road is like from Bodrum Milas to Gumusluk? It says on google it takes over 2 hours, elsewhere it says only 50 mins.

Secondly we are driving from Gumusluk to Kas (one week in each). We're not afraid of long road journeys, I am assuming only one day - but any tips would be grateful. Where to avoid congestion/detours, how long it will take? Google says 7 hours, but at least we will aim to do it during daylight hours!

Thanks for your help.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

I'm sure the drive from the airport is nearer 50 minutes than 2 hours.

The drive to Kas would be more like 5 hours. The main road running from Mugla to Antalya has been greatly improved over the past few years, as has the road to Kas when you leave the main highway. I very much doubt that there will be any diversions, although Turkey can be a bit unpredictable as far as they are concerned! Certainly no congestion to avoid.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

Yes airport to Gumuşluk defo max 50 minutes-unless you go the scenic route via the whole peninsula first :-)

As you approach Bodrum from the airport you will come to a big roundabout and some road works and you'll see a sign for Yalıkavak.This is the coastal road which does lead to Gumuşluk but as you are arriving after dark I would advise driving into Bodrum and then take the dual carriageway that cuts across the peninsula,following the signs for Turgutreis and passing through Ortakent.Shortly after Ortakent you'll come to a junction at Gurece signposted for Gumuşluk(this is the route the bus takes too) which will lead you there,via Derekoy is around 15 minutes.Neither route is fantastic at night but this one will be better as it is more or less one main roads/dual carriageway all the way to Gurece turn off.

You won't actually enter Bodrum centre-as you enter the town you will come to a big set off traffic lights you go straight on(following T.reis sign as I said before) and this is the bypass road which takes you above the town and out onto the peninsula.Sorry it sounds complicated which it really isn't and will become self apparent to you on arrival.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

THanks so much for your help. Can't wait.

4. Re: First Time in Turkey - driving from Gumusluk to Kas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 25, 2010