We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

translation please.

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
translation please.

I have found a packet ,in the kitchen , of something which looks like small and short spaghettis.It is written:

koy eristesi.

I know what köy means , don't have a clue about the rest.

Thank's all.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: translation please.

Köy erişte is village pasta and very nice too!It is made by nearly all village ladies, dried and used in the winter.Cook it in salted boiling water as you would any other pasta and then add a big knob of butter.I didn't say it was healthy I said it was lovely!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: translation please.

Hi Emma,

that means 'village pasta', cheers!

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: translation please.

Thank's sari and Jeanne, I 'll try it.Lol

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: translation please.

Emma, but is it 'bayat'?

I mean old? You can't keep pasta forever, be sure it is right, lol!

Usually it needs very short cooking, I love it with good olive oil and garlic, or just some truffle oil.

Cheers!

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: translation please.

Wow I don't know, I don't remember buying this; must be my mother.There is something else written:

doganin billûr tadigla

I cannot see the date.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: translation please.

...that bit means with natural taste.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: translation please.

why do they make it to eat in the winter, Sari? I'd have thought flour was available all year - or is it made of some other ingredient that is seasonal? (or is it maybe cos the flour they use is very freshly milled?)

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: translation please.

Hi Attagul, what makes you say it's in winter? On the packet I have they show milk, butter I think.Jeanne , do you cook the garlic?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: translation please.

They use the same flat metal plate they cook gözleme on which is traditionally wood burning so not for use inside.This is done in the summertime ready to store up for the winter because traditionally it was a hand made thing(in the days before packets of stuff!)all they then had to do was just add it to some boiling water and when cooked add yoghurt,cheese or butter or what ever they fancied on it.

Many village women still continue to make it because it is cheaper than packets(no charge for their labour LOL)and is tastier than the packet stuff.

Of course these days many Turkish women work and so,erişte,like many of the traditional foods are available in packets/frozen food section/in tins etc as they don't have the time to spend in the kitchen that their Mothers did but still want to serve up home cooked food at night.

Naturally the village ladies quite rightly think that their hand made is still better-and they are correct :)

I must confess to spending 3 full days in October last year with my landlady and 2 of her friends in the garden with said wood fire and metal plate making erişte and also dried yufka(filo)ready for the winter.Thus I had a huge plastic bags of dried pastry sticks on top of my wardrobe until May this year and also another huge bag of what looked like popadoms(dried yufka)from which I was able to make gozleme and çiğ borek until April.

Who said life in the country is boring?I haven't got flipping time to be bored LOL :)

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: translation please.

Sai, I remember now, I saw women doing big gozleme, then cutting them ase (erste) and also as manti, it was in Avsa adasi.I know manti but not ereste.In the region of Sivas manti are cooked differently, with meat and tomato sauce like the italian gnocchi.