We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

I'm going to be going to Turkey this summer to do some travel (unfortunately I have no other choice as to the time as I'm limited to my teaching schedule, so summer it is).

I have about 2 weeks to spend in Turkey. I know I want to spend 3-5 nights in Istanbul but after that I'm open as to what to do. I would like to do Ephesus, a few days in Panukkale doing stuff around there and Bodrum and maybe a few other things in that area. Is this doable in two weeks with the travel times in between places? Or should I keep to things that are slightly closer to Istanbul? Thank you ahead of time for all replies.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

Two weeks gives you a fair amount of time to be able to take things at a steady pace which you will need in the summer heat.

Assuming that you will fly into and leave from İstanbul.Do you want to hire a car?Or use buses? Or take internal flights?Flying is obviously quicker and will give you more time in each place and is not so much more expensive than the buses.Self drive is a matter of whether or not you're a confident driver also if you are solo it means you have no one to share the driving with and therefore miss out on a lot of what you're driving through.Also petrol here is very expensive!Just some things to consider.Here is a possible itinery;-

From İstanbul fly to İzmir(45 minutes flight or an 8 hour bus trip)and stay 2 nights somewhere like Selcuk.This can be a base for Ephesus and other nearby sites.

Then travel by bus(2 1/2 hours) to Denizli to see Pamukkale and Aphrodisias.Again make this a 2 night stop over.

Then again by bus travel down to Bodrum(approx 3 1/2 hours) have a chill out day or two by the sea.Then take a return flight back up to İstanbul ready for your departure.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

Personally, I'd concentrate on Istanbul, Ephesus, Pamukkale and add Cappadocia.

Cappadocia is the most unique, stunning place I have visited. Have a look at it on the internet and the reality actually beats the pictures. Even this will be a lot to squeeze into 2 weeks.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

İ agree totally.İf it was me İ would do İstanbul,Ephesus and Capadocia but as the poster seems to mainly want to stay around the Aegean area this seemed like a good option.Bodrum or Goreme?Hard choice :))...not.

PS Heido,have you changed your mind about not coming to Turkey this year yet?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

2 weeks in Turkey in the summer;

Istanbul won't be very busy, many locals leave the town.

Spend 3 days in Istanbul, I would say also take a flight to Izmir, and continue to Selcuk, or take a bus to Selcuk, though I am not sure if there is a straight bus to Selcuk. Driving time is longer, but long distance busses drive overnight so you do not loose any time. Near to Selcuk and Ephesus is Pamucak beach, quite a nice beach and not crowded.

From there to Pamukkale, see Aphrodisias, Hyrapolis and the travertins and then......

from there to either Bodrum or continue a bit further to the Mediterranean sea. That is depending on what you prefer.

My preference has the latter. A bus ride from Pamukkale to Fethiye is not that long. The bays are so much more beautiful between Fethiye and Marmaris. You can enjoy boat trips, lots of culture, nice beaches like Ölüdeniz, and fly back from Dalaman to Istanbul.

Of course Cappedocia is a great area but perhaps you could save that for another time.

http://flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody

check out for the Fethiye area if you like.

Good luck!

5. Re: Two weeks in Turkey...what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Turkey