We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli

2 posts
Save Topic
Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli

We have booked flights to Alexandroupolis and we are wanting to cross the border into turkey and book a car and drive to Çanakkale.

3 replies to this topic
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli

Damn. Pressed enter before I was finished.

I’m after a place we can rent vehicles pretty close to the border on the Turkish side. I’ve so far not had any luck finding any. Hoping someone else may have some ideas

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli

Hello Bruce

I've done this route myself a number of times. METRO Bus company do a reasonable service across the border, heading for Istanbul. From Alexandroupoli (dep 14.30) I booked for Keşan Otogar so as to catch a 6 pm bus going on to Çanakkale. All very comfortable and efficient.

[If you don't speak Turkish, ask other passengers for advice and help. I was a bit annoyed to be dropped at a BP Station outside Keşan, but found the co-driver had phoned ahead, and a taxi was waiting to whisk me up to the Otogar, free of charge!]

AVIS have an office in Çanakkale with reliable cars, but I guess you want to explore the Gallipoli Peninsula, so you should ask for a car on that side of the Dardanelles, rather than take it across on the ferry yourselves more than once.

You might prefer to stay in Eceabat, on the European side: a very nice place though much quieter than Çanakkale. [Too quiet for my draft beer requirements.]

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli

... so what I suggest is: perhaps book into a hotel in ECEABAT or CANAKKALE (Gelibolu is well away from the main interest) - and maybe ask the hotel to organise a rental car. Of course they'll offer a "tour" of their own. For first-time visitors this is a good option (but not something I'd do myself).

I don't think you'll find a good rental place nearer the GR-TR border, but I'm also assuming you'll want to continue South to Ephesus etc, in which case AVIS one-way rental would be better.

Reply to: Alexandroupolis to Gallipoli
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted