We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for women

New York
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for women

I would like to know what the dress code is for female tourists, visiting Uzbekistan. I am a bit confused as I read all different kind of advice.

I read one should cover from the ankles to the wrists, with a high neckline, others say women should wear ankle length dresses or skirts and I also read, one should just wear whatever is comfortale. Hm...

I am thinking of visiting in late May. Any good advice?

Much appreciated, thank you.

21 replies to this topic
Nussbaumen...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for women

Uzbek women themselves dress pretty conservative and wear traditional clothing that covers ankles and wrists. However, you will also see lots of women dressed in modern jeans, t-shirts, and skirts in larger cities like Tashkent. In May, there are many tourists and they wear just normal clothes comfortable for them.

The highlight of Uzbekistan is magnificent Islamic architecture, so you will visit various religious places and mosques. There, women are expected to cover head and shoulders, wear long pants or skirt and take off the shoes.

So, we recommend something like harem pants, wear loose and light-colored clothes, since it also helps to keep cool against hot sun. Pack light scarf and socks into your dayback and you are ready to go.

Take light sneakers, flip flops, sweater if i gets cool in the evenings, enough t-shirts, shorts, pants, skirt, underwear, socks. You might want to take something nice to go out for evenings.

Do not forget your hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.

Tipp: Uzbekistan is full of beautiful scarves- you might actually want to buy one there, maybe even silk one as a souvenir from the Silk Road

Have fun!

Edited: 7:16 am, October 31, 2016
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for women

I just returned from Uzbekistan last month.

Many women, and most Millennials, in the larger cities dress as one would dress in the West without overt indecency, of course.

In the smaller towns, you are more likely to see conservative dress, but it is important to note that Uzbekistan policy is secular, so there is no expectation to confirm to conservative dress unless you wish to.

The exception to this comes when visiting religious sites and churches, mosques, mausoleums, and synagogues alike all prefer (and actually require) that both men (no shirts or tank tops ) and women (covered hair, shoulders, legs, arms) confirm to standards of modesty when visiting these sites.

New York
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for women

Thank you both.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for women

I returned from 5 STANS tour middle of Sept 2016 - all Muslim countries but quite secular - local and therefore tourist female (male) dress is casual - quite western - several times visiting holy places head scarfs were requested but a box was always available at the entrance - wear loose clothing as temperature was hot and definitely sunglasses and hat - also obviously comfortable shoes even sandals - you can visit holy sites in bare feet - these countries have different cultures, their own local currency and language - some English and Russian spoken and understood - Enjoy!

Aosta, Italy
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for women

I spent last year one month in Uzbekistan. I have seen that a foreign woman may dress in the way she likes best without any problem, at least in touristic places and towns.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for women

There is no dress code for tourists, except religious objects.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code for women

Hello, I am from Uzbekistan. They don't have any dress code restrictions in Tashkent or other cities (unless you visit religious places,cemeteries, mosques) Jeans, shirts,dresses are fine. Of course it depends on the type of trip. If it's on business, be professional. For restaurant,parties nice dresses or skirts are suitable

Hopefully you will enjoy your trip

Aosta, Italy
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code for women

A tourist you need a dress code more eating at City Grill restaurant - Shevchenko street (fabulous food) than in mosques.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code for women

Hi all

I've read the posts in this forum, but am still a little unclear as to the dress code if I want to be respectful to the culture, in places other than mosques or religious sites - can I have bare shoulders and skirts to just below the knees, for example, when walking around a town or travelling from one place to the next - assuming the clothing is reasonably modest (i.e. not low-cut tops etc)?

I understand that around religious places such as mosques etc I need to cover my shoulders and wear long dresses (& cover my head), but do I really need full long sleeves down to my wrists, and skirts actually covering my ankles, or would short sleeve shirts be ok, and mid-calf length skirts?

Also, are non-Muslims actually allowed into mosques there? In other Muslim countries I've visited I am not allowed to enter the mosques anyway.

Apologies for long post but it is so important to make sure I don't bring a lot of clothes I find I cannot wear, as my baggage allowance is only 20kg!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code for women

Seahorse0804: relax! - I visited the Stan’s in 2016 - just be western standard modest - top short sleeves and long enough to cover belly - pants/shirt just below knee ok - did not find any mosques prohibited to westerners - head scarfs and even wraps for around waist frequently available at mosques - yes travel light - hat/sunglasses/comfy shoes all a must - worry less, enjoy more!

Reply to: Dress code for women
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tashkent