We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Tashkent

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
traveling to Tashkent

hi can anyone give me alittle advice please, i have a friend who i meet in the uk, she is back in uzbek now, and has invited me to Tashkent for a holiday, look around the city and maybe go to the near buy mountians she tells me they are beautiful, but as i have only been to Europe, i know i will need to get a visa, but from reading lots of different topic on the internet, im alittle worried, is it totally safe for a foreign from the uk? i know the people are friendly, is there many foreigns there? any advice would help me make my mind up, thanks

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to Tashkent

Uzbekistan is, by far, the most visited of the Central Asian countries. The majority of these travellers are 55+ seniors from Western Europe on tours of the major sites. If they can do it...

The only region in Uzbekistan to experience any problem is the Fergana Valley. But these troubles are in no way targeting foreigners and would certainly not even be noticed in Tashkent. There is little street crime, certainly in comparison to London which on top of petty crime has had more deaths directly related to terrorism than Uzbekistan. Would you say that London is safe?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to Tashkent

Thanks for your mail, yes your right about London, i live just outside of London, and do not like going into London, Thank again,

E Yorks
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to Tashkent

We were in Uzbekistan for two weeks in October. Tashkent is a lovely city with many interesting places to visit. We both felt perfectly safe to walk around on our own, (I am 68 and my husband is 73 years of age) we found everyone friendly and helpful. Would recommend a visit to Samarkand if that is possible. We took Euros and Dollars which seem to be the currencies everyone wants. Also took Travellers Cheques but did not use these. Hope you enjoy your visit. If you travel Uzbekistan Airways I'm sure you will find the experience interesting!!

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to Tashkent

if you are from UK you can get tourist visa at Uzbek embassy in London. You should request local tour agencies in Uzbekistan (Advantour) to arrange LOI for you . (LOI is visa support letter, letter of invitation. ) and if you book a hotel accommodation through the agency you can get LOI and obtain visa at the embassy.

Moscow, Russia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling to Tashkent

Please contact me via email, I will give you couple of advices

england
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to Tashkent

I have been to Tashkent 4 times in the last 4 years,I have always found uzbek people very friendly,We stay with friends in quite a rough part of Tashkent and i walk around without fear any time night or day,Most people are just curious more than anything as you dont get that many English people or tourists for that matter in the more residential areas,If you get the chance and the weather is nice go to Charvak reservoir its really nice and great for swimming and bbq,One thing i must say is the Uzbek embassy in london is bad for misplacing passports and documents,They had mine over a month last year,I had a signature from royal mail and some of the crap the consul section told me over the phone,From the embassy was closed that day to that person who signed for it doesnt work here,Only when i finally got my MP involved did they manage to locate the passport, ( under a pile of magazines in the ambassadors drivers flat, as he lives at the embassy)By then i had cancelled my trip as i missed the flight and had to rebook 6 weeks later.

Then they only went and lost my friends passport 3 months later,One of the staff told my wife that the consul section lose things all the time,Thats unreal, all i can say is I will never post anything to that place again,Next time i go in person.

7. Re: traveling to Tashkent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, July 06, 2011