We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Which Tashkent hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Has anyone been on the Intrepid trans-asia express tour from Beijing to Tashkent? What is the 36 hour Silk Road train trip like in terms of comfort or lack of comfort and are there any stops along the way? Otherwise can anyone suggest a reliable tour company that does Central Asia?

aussie
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Hello Leonie,

Haven"t travelled from Beijing to Tashkent but did a central Asia tour with peregrine..(sept 08).avoid at all costs, our small group tour became 30 + for a couple of days, we had no rep to meet us on our 1st group evening, overall a very unsatisfactory experience from "professional" tour operators, having said that, it seemed easy enough to organise tours from Aus with local operators and the people we spoke to had done that were very satisfied with the outcome. Friendly people and a great experience, with no thanks to overpriced and disorganised peregrine tours

Australia, Geelong
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Hi, guys,

Sorry to hear u had bad experience in Uzbekistan. I am actaully Uzbek, but I travelled around quite a bit, and now live in Oz myself. LOL So, I am bitsa, if you know what I mean.

I have a question: CAN OZZIES a visa upon arrival in uzbekistan, tashkent? Do you know?????? I am desparate to take my other half for some touring soon, plus we need to go there to do some legal stuff. my mum advises that getting an invitation letter takes ages, how long did your take????

Australians, help!!! :(

Writ to me at my mail box kamilawebster@yahoo.com

THANKS

3. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:08 pm, April 02, 2009
xinjiang
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Hi there,

I recommend you a travel agent in Urumqi. They organize silk road tours from China to Centrial asia.The website is www.silktoute.cn

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Except for citizens of CIS countries, who don't need visas to come to Uzbekistan, no one can get a visa upon arrival at Tashkent airport unless it has been pre-arranged (such as through a tour agency).

6. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:04 am, July 24, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

Sorry Leonie your post is perhaps now abit dated but thought I would give it a go anyway.

Yes, I went with Intrepid on a 28 day St Petersberg to Beijing but back in 2004 which they have now changed to the one you are interested in. It was fantastic, only 10 of us plus the tour guide who turned out to come from Oz. The pity is that Intrepid changed the train of 3 days and nights from Moscow to Tashkent to a fly over - perhaps Uzbekistan Rail was too much in some people's face and it was wild but I luved it. We stayed in good comfy hotels, some better than others though the minibuses around Uzebekistan didn't really figure for 11 people and their respective backpacks so a little cramped but fun.

The biggest drama for Australians is getting the visa as we need Chinese, Russian, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. I got my visas for China and Russia in Oz and then flew to Bangkok (we started in St Petersberg) and got the other two there as this is closest for us though you could alternatively go early to Beijing and get them there.

8. Re: Uzbekistan and Central Asia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:27 am, December 03, 2009