We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car in tashkent?

Warsaw
2 posts
rent a car in tashkent?

Is it possible and recommended to rent a car in Usbekistan? I would like to rent a car without driver and follow the lonelyplanet guide. I plan to go to Usbekistan this May and I plan to arrive in Tashkent and then to move to Samarkand and Bukhara. Can you help?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: rent a car in tashkent?

I have just returned from Uzbekistan, and would only recommend your plan if you are fluent in Russian, Uzbeck and Tajik languages.

I used the train, shared taxi and one domestic flight to get around.

It enabled me to mix with locals, who were keen to practice their English skills, but ensured that I could not go too far off the beaten track and get myself into any kind of trouble.

Trains run twice a day (5hrs) between Tashkent and Samarkand at 7am and 7pm. There is one train per day between Samarkand and Buchara (4hours) around noon. Cheap and they feed you en-route.

A shared taki took me from Buchara to Khiva and a flight from Urgench back to Tashkent.

Tashkent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2. Re: rent a car in tashkent?

I would't know about any car rental company at Tashkent airport like we normally have at any airport in Europe. The second thing is that in the city of Tashkent for example, you would get lost in the first five minutes. No road signs at all! Traffic lights are positioned in a way that you have to understand sometimes.

And if you need a car in Tashkent all day, you pay not more than 20USD. And you will not be in a constant stress, because of surviving traffic!

3. Re: rent a car in tashkent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tashkent