We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biometric passports

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Biometric passports

I am asking this on behalf of my wife who is an Uzbek citizen. She has the old non biometric passport which is valid for many more years. Her OVIR visa expired a few months ago. She wants to visit Tashkent in the next few months for just a couple of weeks, or however long it takes to renew the OVIR. I have done some online searching and have found some information, but we need to know if there will be any problems with her using the old passport to leave Tashkent. I understand that renewing it and then getting the OVIR could take weeks or even months. What I have seen online says that the old passport will be valid until the end of 2015, but it is not clear if it is valid for international travel. So my questions are:

1. Will she be able to leave Uzbekistan with the old type of passport and a renewed OVIR?

2. How long does it currently take to renew a passport.

3. The UK embassy web site says that they do not issue passports, but they will announce when they will start. That implies she could renew in the UK. Any more information on that?

4. Is there anyway for her to retain the old (cancelled) passport if she renews it? It will contain visas that she needs.

Thanks to the experts here for any help.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Biometric passports

You would not have any problem entering the UK. I think it is very unlikely you would have any problems in Egypt, but you could ask their embassy. They would be unlikely to have issued the visa if they considered the passport is invalid. Just stay away from the CIS!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Biometric passports

Many thanks for your response Davestly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Biometric passports

Hi,

You will have absolutely no problems going to Egypt and Back to the UK with the expired OVIR.

Egypt does not care about OVIR. I have been to Egypt 3 times with an expired OVIR, faced no problems at all.

That is in the UK or Egypt, not sure if there will be any problems when I will have to go back to Uzbekistan though :-)

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Biometric passports

Good evening!!!

Could you please give me some information about replacing the old passports of Uzbekistan into the new biometric ones while I'm in the UK? As I'm studying now in the UK, I've a student visa Tier-4 obtained in Tashkent. I've submitted my old passport recently to get a new one to the Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan in London. And I was told that it might take two or three months until it's ready along with the OVIR sticker. How will be the procedure of issuing a visa by the Home Office after I get my new biometric passport from the Embassy and the fees to be paid to? Thanks a lot in advance,

1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Biometric passports

Hi, I'm an Uzbekistani citizen living in London and I am looking to renew my passport in UK. I do not wish to travel to Uzbekistan. Is it possible to renew it here?

P.s. I'm not a student.

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Biometric passports

Hi, also in the same kind of situation with my wife. We live in Frankfurt, Germany and had a holiday booked to Spain for the end of August. The Consulate here said that my wife can travel with her old passport so all should be ok even though it is after the supposed July 1st deadline. Can someone tell me if this is true as the Consulate here are no help whatsoever!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Biometric passports

If you are a student, there should be no problems for you whatsoever replacing your passport. But think, if you really need to do this. If you are here for 5-6 months only, I would say do not do this, you can change it when you are back in UZB. Regarding the visa sticker renewal in your passport you will have to contact the UKBA (now GOV.uk) https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/overview they will be able to give you a clear answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Biometric passports

Hi, it is possible to replace it here, but you will need to check if you can do this in the UK

Check the requirement here: uzbekembassy.org/e/information_for_citizens_…

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Biometric passports

The 1st July deadline is for UZB only. No other country (as far as I know) care about this. At the end of Aug you will be safe to travel.

Moscow, Russia
3 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Biometric passports

Im in russia with my old uzbek passport (expires in 2015 ) Can i travel to Moldova for a week from Moscow & come back to RUSSIA?