We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

I might go to Uzbekistan in September. I've been to only Samarqand for Uzbekistan last year...But Bukhara and Khiva also seems interesting..I want to know how different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand. I've heard Bukhara is very touristy. Is it worth visiting after having been to Samarqand?

Is it easier to find Shared taxi from Khiva to Bukhara?

Mentioned in this post
Bukhara
Bukhara
Bukhara Province, Uzbekistan
Khiva
Khiva
Xorazm Province, Uzbekistan
Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

All the cities different! Khiva is like a Museum, you can imagine city Agraba from Aladdin cartoon. Samarkand is a modern Central Asia city with perfect monuments and Bukhara is something between Khiva and Samarkand, both geographical and historical culture.

Mentioned in this post
Khiva
Khiva
Samarkand
Samarkand
Samarqand Province, Uzbekistan
Bukhara
Bukhara
Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

Hello jptraveler10

They are rather different. Blackberry is quite right - Khiva is more like a film set almost. After sunset there is noone around and you get a lovely light for photography, with almost no people at all. So your imagination fills the gaps with characters from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam or tales from the Great Game. Bukhara has a very concentrated old city, so has a very different atmosphere to Samarkand. You can walk everywhere easily in the historic part of Bukhara and there are still sections where plenty of local people live too, so not a theme park.

Samarkand is a big modern city now, but with some amazing sights too.

Shared taxis - ask your hotel in Khiva and they will book you into one. There are shared "taxis" (just local cars) all the time between the two cities, but the tourist hotels and guesthouses will be able to find safe ones. Also if you are staying at the Malika, for example, they may be able to hook you up with other travellers to save on cost.

The road is terrible between Khiva and Bukhara, so safety is important.

Have a great trip

Huw

Mentioned in this post
Khiva
Khiva
Bukhara
Bukhara
Samarkand
Samarkand
Samarqand Province, Uzbekistan
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

Yes, Khiva is a bit like a museum, but it's no only touristy, people are living there. I liked the atmosphere, especially early in the morning and in the evenings. The scene with the big city walls is really impressive. If you walk the narrow streets away from the sights, you'll find some daily life and interesting places like people making bread in traditional ovens. Some interesting trips to the desert are possible, Toprak Kala and Ayaz Kala for example.

Bukhara is touristic, like all the famous places, but I liked it. Not busy like Samarqand, most places in walking distance and worth a visit. I liked the evenings at Labi Hauz with a beer and a shisha.

Mentioned in this post
Khiva
Khiva
Bukhara
Bukhara
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

Just one other tip - i went to Smarkand and Bukhara last year (and Tashkent of course) and debated long and hard whether to make Khiva or Nukus my final choice. (didnt have time for both). In the end I chose Nukus because at some point i had become Meddressah'd out and stunning as they were i was looking for another experience, which I got in Nukus. In fact together with a day trip to Moynak which was a very sobering and amazing experience to learn and see first hand the effects of one of most dreadful environemntal catastrophies of the 20th century. I also visited the gallery in nukus which has the largest selection of Avant garde art in the world after STpetersburg. Yes i was sorry i hadnt seen khiva but the trip to Nukus more than made up for any regrets. Just wanted to mention it in case you were looking for soemthing completely different. Incidentally i would also recommend a trip to the Nuratau mountains. You can spend a night or two in an authentic village and that was also fantastic.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Edited: 4:19 am, August 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bukhara
Bukhara
Tashkent
Tashkent
Tashkent Province, Uzbekistan
Khiva
Khiva
5. Re: How different is Bukhara and Khiva from Samarqand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 11, 2014