We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Skelmersdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

Hello there, could anyone please advise me on what is the best currency to exchange to from British pounds for when i visit Uzbekistan? I have read that US dollars are the best form of currency to use in Uzbekistan and i also know that the national currency is Uzbek Sum, Zum or Soum (variation of spellings). And also where is the best place to exchange my British pounds? At a travel agents here in the UK or at the airport i am flying from or make this monetary exchange when i arrive in Uzbekistan? Also i am flying on Turkish Airlines and will they accept Pounds or Dollars or is it Turkish Lira only they will accept for drinks and things on the flight? I am aware that there is a more-value-for-money black market money exchange system in Uzbekistan but i will not use this as it could mean a lot of trouble if a person is discovered using this system. Any answers to these questions will be gratefully appreciated and with many thanks.

Paul

Ithaca, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency Exchange

Also, as you may have read, it is a very safe country and the chance of robbery is close to nil, so have no fear about bringing all the cash you need. I would leave most behind in my room in a "clever place" which was not too obvious. The biggest danger is with yourself; like forgetting your bag or simply loosing something through your own carelessness.

Skelmersdale...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency Exchange

Yes always good to take precautions and be careful with money even in a safe country and like you said not to be careless with it or any valuables. Thanks for the tips Eddie:)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency Exchange

@ Erik v. I think you may be better off taking USD. I never heard anyone mention anything but USD for black market rates.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency Exchange

Just be sure that the policeman is not near, when you will change the money on black market.

2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Currency Exchange

I changed both sterling and US dollars although for sterling you probably have to use the money changing booths which are in all bazars,make sure your notes are crisp clean or they will be difficult to change,

The street rates are quite good but better if someone local like your driver or a friend deals with the vendors as others have pointed out.

16. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 24, 2014