We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa requirements?

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
visa requirements?

Visa requirements for US citizen, are invitations and tourist vouchers still needed?

I plan to visit a sick friend, so I need to go right away. The family has applied for an invitation for me, but ovir states it takes 1-2 months.

According to the NY uzbek consulate website, it does not say to mail in a voucher or invitation. Anyone have experience with this? Can I just mail in the application, photo, passport and fee? Or if I get a tourist visa, would I have problems registering my address at a private home instead of a hotel?

thanks for your help!

5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visa requirements?

Hi there!

It is better to call the Consulate of Uzb-n in NY and ask them directly or e-mail them. I hope you can find out everything u need.

And also if u r getting a tourist visa then it is better to register in a hotel as u might have problems with authorities. But if your friend wants to register you in his/her home then he/she must go to the OVIR and register u there.

My husband when he was there was registered in a private house so there wasn't any problem but it was in 2006 and i am not sure if rules have changed since...

Edited: 12:05 pm, September 20, 2010
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa requirements?

Forgot to mention that my husband had a toursit visa as well

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa requirements?

The embassies and consulates in the US are NOT asking for LOI or tourist vouchers. However, if applying for an Uzbek visa outside the US, LOI are usually required.

USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa requirements?

Well, I followed the instructions on the NY website, which is slightly different then the washington dc website. then I got a call from the consulate office, they said I need a LOI, but not a tourist voucher even though I am a US citizen.

Go figure, to bad I could not argue with them, as they barely understand English.

5. Re: visa requirements?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2011