We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

militsia harming tourists

California
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
militsia harming tourists

I'm a woman and plan to travel alone in Uzbekistan to urban areas (not rural, no hiking). I speak English and French, not Russian, not Uzbek. I understand that the militsia take a lot of liberties with tourists. I'm prepared to bribe with money, but I'm worried because I heard that militsia take individuals into private places and sexual assault them with impunity. Can anyone give me information about that?

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: militsia harming tourists

I think you've been given some really bad information. I can't understand where these kinds of stories come from. In fact, I'd be interested in hearing where you heard this (you could send me a private message).

I have lived here for several years and I have never heard of a militsiya person sexually assaulting a foreigner. They know very well they would catch pure hell for something like that. There would definitely not be impunity. For the most part, you will actually find the militsiya people quite polite to foreigners, to the extent you have any interaction with them at all.

You may occasionally be asked to show your passport, but even that is pretty rare. I have heard of militsiya people shaking down foreigners, but that also is extremely rare and I don't personally know of anyone that has happened to. Should you be stopped by a militsiya person - for instance asked to show your passport - be polite, but show no fear. Don't offer them money. Do not allow them to take you into to some private place. Start yelling and telling them you are going to call the U.S. Embassy. English language or not, they will understand that. However, I can't imagine that happening to you.

I don't think you should have any worries - especially regarding the militsiya. I just always tell people they should exercise the same common sense cautions one should use traveling anywhere, especially for women traveling alone. From a personal safety standpoint, Uzbekistan is generally a pretty safe country. As the economy declines,there are some street crime issues, but hardly ever related to foreigners.

I do recommend you register with the U.S. Embassy's Warden's office when you come (or just before - you can do it online), and carry their emergency number with you.

The language issue may be a slight problem, but only from the standpoint of getting around. At most hotels (except for the very cheapest), you will usually find someone who at least speaks some English. In the better hotels, there are always English speaking staff who will help you get around.

I suspect your trip to Uzbekistan will be pretty uneventful from a safety standpoint. I would give you stronger cautions if you were traveling to L.A. (I lived in California for a while).

Tashkent
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: militsia harming tourists

I can only agree with the comment above. I,ve never been in trouble with militya people.

For the language, that might indeed be a problem. However, people will try to help you with hands and feet.

Don't worry too much. I feel safer in Tashkent then in many other cities.

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: militsia harming tourists

In august 2008 I were traveling for 3 weeks in UZ and I never get stop of any authority. It was pretty safe too travel and I took buses,private taxi and train whit no problems at all. The worst places are some of the recomended guesthouses from Lonelyplanet, but I find some really good.

I only speak english (do not write very good) but meet a lot a helpsome people in the country. They even following you if you can´t find your transportation.

Write richinuz and wessel they can give you some good advices.

Thanks to you both.

You are also welcome to contakt me for more information.

4. Re: militsia harming tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:04 am, July 24, 2012
5. Re: militsia harming tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 25, 2009