We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Uzbekistan

Karachi, Pakistan
2 posts
Save Topic
Coming to Uzbekistan

Hi all,

this seems like the best forum to know about things in distant lands such as Uzbekistan. I am a Pakistani national and planning to be in Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva perhaps to Fargana Valley (especially for Babur) and would love if anyone wanna share any off beat paths, any interesting places to visits (which are not too toursty).. I have read too much about this country and its cities and really excited about it...

One more thing.. which is the best place for shopping... tashkent or other places.. shoudl i leave my shopping when i come back to tashkent from samarkand, bukhara and khiva or do along the way... especially interested in some uzbik masterpeices for wooden handicrafts and tiles.

thanks

Tariq

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Uzbekistan

I was in Uzbekistan in March and have the following information on shopping.

Tashkent is a very spread out city, and I did not find a shopping area, although there must be one. Very few tourists, so very few handcrafts. One out of the way museum, the Museum of of Applied Arts did have a good museum shop, but that was the only one I saw.

Samarkand's places of interest tend to be a bit spread out too. There are a lot of shops in the old madressas at the Registan. The market area is also interesting to visit, to see how the local people live and shop, but it is mostly food and things of everyday living.

Buchara has a lot of handcraft shops, there is an UNESCO operated carpet workshop, and you can order carpets made to your order, even using old photographs or paintings. Suzannas are hand embroidered tablecloths, bed covers etc. Superb workmanship, inexpensive, but make sure that the fabric is good quality and the embroidery silks are color-fast for long lasting satisfaction with your purchase. Opposite the Lyabi Hauz there is a shop owned and run by a young woman fashion designer. She has great ideas adapting traditional textiles and modern fashion. She also has traditional hand-loomed fabric by the yard (or meter). Quite a bit of pottery here. All in all Buchara is the best place to shop. I bought some nice unframed artwork here, including Koranic calligraphy. The best was at the Ark (the fortress).

Khiva is THE place for wood carving, there are several workshops to visit. There are also furs for sale here. Kiva is the smallest town, and everythig of tourist interest is concentrated within the walls of the old city. I throughly enjoyed the indoor market in Khiva. The adjacent outdoor market was all food and everday things.

The places I visited were all pretty much on "The Tourist Trail", I only had 10 days, and it took this long to cover the basics. So I did not get off the beaten path.

Before you go I would suggest that you read my posting on Trip Advisor about money regulations and formalities. This is the only area that I found difficult to navigate. There is no wiggle room. rules are rules, law is law, and you are either in compliance or not.

You will find the people very helpful, especially those who have something to sell!

Enjoy your trip.

2. Re: Coming to Uzbekistan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 02, 2009