We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

august for 21 days

bristol uk
Level Contributor
874 posts
Save Topic
august for 21 days

Ive been looking at sub Asia but monsoon,looking at Sth America to expensive.So have read good reports about Uzbekistan.Now i have 21 days available from August 1st.I know thats plenty of time to travel around indepedantly.So a few questions,how hot will it be,also i realize its a mainly muslim country so i assume not alcohol available( i could do with drying out for a while),also being the summer,will i still be able to walk around in shorts,obviously not in Mosques.UK passport can i get a visa on arrival,is it easy to travel around.Sorry about so many questions.

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: august for 21 days

Hello,

not alcohol available --- there are lots of Alcoholic shops and bars in Uzbekistan, just don't drink in the street.

Also being the summer,will i still be able to walk around in shorts === Yes, of course, even in Most mosques it is ok.

UK passport can i get a visa on arrival,is it easy to travel around. === You can get visa in London without invitation letter, visa on arrival just in case if there is no Uzbek embassy in your home country or in the country you live in. Besides you will need invitation letter from an Uzbek tour company for visa on arrival anyway.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
113 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: august for 21 days

I just got back... traveling in Ramadan no less. And alcohol is readily available all over the place in restaurants, shops, hotels, bars, whatever. Most women don't wear head coverings, and anyone can wear shorts, although most locals don't.

It's going to be extremely hot. Average high will probably be 35 degrees, but could easily go to 40.

Travel will be very cheap, but bargain for everything (short of train tickets and flghts). Taxi drivers inflate their prices greatly. Ask the locals what the price should really be.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
874 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: august for 21 days

Thanks for answering back,even tho I love hot weather I've managed to change my dates and will be going from Sept 28th for 3 weeks instead.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: august for 21 days

Hi!

Of course, if you want to walk not only in Tashkent, but also visit Samarkand, Bukhara and other big cities, then it is better to make a trip in September. The weather will not be so hot. Thus, the problem of shorts will disappear by itself))))) It would be better to take light trousers made of natural material. In the eyes of others you will look more respectful.

It's better not to drink alcohol on the street. But you can have a good rest in bars and restaurants, where almost everything is served - from domestic beer to elite alcohol. You have to bargain with taxi drivers, especially if they recognize a foreigner in you. Slow the cost of a trip twice)))) good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Tashkent
Tashkent
Tashkent Province, Uzbekistan
Samarkand
Samarkand
Samarqand Province, Uzbekistan
Bukhara
Bukhara
Bukhara Province, Uzbekistan
Reply to: august for 21 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted