We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darvaza Gas Crater

Basauri, Spain
6 posts
Save Topic
Darvaza Gas Crater

my friend and I want to visit the gas crater on our way comming from Usbekistan to Dashoguz. We would like to take a shared taxi or any other ride, visit Koyen Urgench on the way and stop at the crater in the evening, spend the night there and on the next day move on to Ashgabat. We carry everything we need to camp with us and would need advices on how to do the trip or other travellers who would like to join in to lower the costs.

Our basic idea right now is to go to Koyen Urgench from the border, visit the city and then hop on a shared ride to Ashgabat - I think the problem is that cars leave only in the morning, so we can't visit Koyen Urgench

We thought off getting two drivers - one to drive us down one day - we pay for all the way to Ashgabat - and one driver on the next day, whom we already payed ahead, who can pick us up on his way from Koyen Urgench to Ashgabat, but maybe we only try to hitchhike to get from the crater to Ashgabat.

5 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darvaza Gas Crater

Darvaza is a very difficult place to visit unless you book an organized tour like we did so here's a few things to think about.

1- Do you speak Russian?......meaning how will you communicate with taxi drivers or anyone else. Turkmenistan has about the fewest English speakers of any country I've been to.

2- Could you really trust pre-paying someone to pick you up the next day?

3- How do you intend on getting from the highway to the crater? It's about 6-8 km into the desert so how would you know the way?

4- You may be able to hitch a ride on the highway but about the only one to pick you up would be a passing truck and they would expect payment so be prepared for that.

5-There is nowhere near the crater to buy water, food, etc. so if you decide to do it on your own, be sure you have everything with you.

2. Re: Darvaza Gas Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, March 20, 2014

Goa, Goa, India
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Darvaza Gas Crater

hi

have you started with your trip. For your information i am from India and doing this crazy trip by road from Goa india to Lisbon, Portugal.

i am going to Khiva and from there to Nukus / Khodjeili i am arriving 13th June 14 and departure 16th june 14.

let us keep in touch just in case you are in Khiva.

Basauri, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Darvaza Gas Crater

Thank you for useful help, I did the tour and can say sorry for this late reply.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darvaza Gas Crater

Have you thought about the type of Visa you'll get? I think hitchhiking would be quite hard as Turkmen aren't meant to associate with foreigners and there are lots of police checks.

However booking transport is relatively easy, and there is a Magazine not far from the turn off to Davarza, so the first comment about no food and water is incorrect.

Edited: 8:25 pm, February 04, 2015
Reply to: Darvaza Gas Crater
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted