We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Letter of invitation

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
702 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Letter of invitation

I have booked a tour of Turkmenstan and Uzbekstan with a UK travel agent who in turn has booked with an agent over there. Now the my travel agent is saying that I need a letter of invitation for Turkmenstan and it will cost me $100.

I am not happy with this. I thought the travel agents who have our booking should arrange the letter of invitation for free as they are getting our tour business.

Is this this usual (agents asking $100 for LOI)? Is $100 a fair price?

[I have seen Turkmenstan travel agencies on net advertising LOI for $50 even if you do not book with them.]

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Letter of invitation

No, it is not the usual and I would go after your UK travel agent as they should know exactly what their ground operator does and should have informed you about it from the start. Not very professional if they claim not to have known about it and expect you to pay now.

When we booked our 5 stans tour with Advantour who are based in Uzbekistan all of the LOI's were included in the cost of the tour.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
270 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Letter of invitation

The Travel agent should've advise you the cost at the start. The LOI to Turkmenistan must be sent by the Tourist Agent in Turkmenistan to you or your travel agent. The tourist companies in Turkmenistan are State controlled.They'll disclose the plans of your trip with the cost which should be all inclusive as they must obtain the LOI from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ashgabat which takes around 10 working days.Unless she misquoted you, it sounds like she wants to make a few Pounds/Dollars on the side in her pocket.I would be suspicious of anyone that says they can get you a Turkmen LOI for $50.00 no booking required since it is Turkmen State Control Law that any Tourist LOI issued must have schedule arranged (tour package) from the Travel Agent in Turkmenistan. The travel agent is responsible for you at all times in Turkmenistan.When they break down the all inclusive cost of your tour package the Turkmen LOI would be around USD $40.00-$60.00 . In Uzbekistan you can purchase an LOI from an agency there without booking a tour then if you do book a tour with them, LOI usually is at no cost to you .It all depends whom you're dealing with. The rate for Uzbek LOI USD $45.00-70.00 that usually takes around 10 working days as well.

Edited: 12:47 am, May 14, 2014
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Letter of invitation

yes, I agree with kraor, you need to be suspicious of anyone who says for 50 bucks they can get you a LOI. Lately prices are increased and travel agents themselves pay 85 USD to the gov't for each LOI. Kraor, since 2006 LOI is issued by State Immigration Service, not MFA.

koolman3, you need to see the quote details that you UK agent supplied you, if in Services included part is not mentioned "LOI, travel pass, registration" , yes you need to pay 100 bucks. If included, it is a problem of your agent, do not pay a penny. Joe

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
270 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Letter of invitation

Actually the LOI is issued by Office of Migrations which is part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.The Migration office does the registration of Foreigners on a Tourist Visa which your Representative in Turkmenistan will handle that.Transit Visas don't need to be registered.

Rugby, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Letter of invitation

Has anyone have experience of seven sense travel in turkmenstien how can you search if they are registered travel agents, any help please!

Bodrum, Turkey
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Letter of invitation

Scot2b look their contact details, if they are registered there will be Turkmenistan address. If not, they should work with smb in Turkmenistan.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Letter of invitation

Anyone who says $50 for a LOI isn't telling the truth/hasn't updated their prices. The MFA charges us more than this (being a tour operator in Turkmenistan) and every tour company is going to put a small fee for the work on top of their fee.

Just remember that no tour company will include the Turkmen visa cost as you need to pay this yourself at the airport when you present your LOI.

8. Re: Letter of invitation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 01, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan
More Turkmenistan Topics