We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

Hello, I have a 1 night layover in colombo, arriving at 18:20 and leaving at 9:50 the next morning. Is it worth while to go to colombo for the night? I'm sure there won't be time to sight see and it will probably be dark. But ideally we could stay in a nice area of the city, walk around a bit and have some dinner and drinks in a lively area. Can anyone recommend a nice area like this? However I don't know if the journey and taxi fare is worth such a short stay. Am I better off staying at the airport? Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

You're better off staying in Negombo ( a coastal town close to the airport ) for a number of reasons.

Main one being, you have a better choice of accommodation that is good value for money.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

Go to Negombo and take from there a tuk tuk in the morning to the airport (takes about 30 minutes) It will be much cheaper and you'll avoid the traffic jam in Colombo in the morning. There are many hotels and guesthouses in Negombo around the beach strip.

For a drink I like in Colombo the area around the "dutch hospital"

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

I agree with seekingplaces and beesji that the best plan would be for you to spend the night in Negombo. It's much closer to the airport than Colombo and easier to get to. You'd have plenty of places to choose for dinner and a few drinks within easy walking distance of many hotels in the area.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
150 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

Thank you all for the advice. I'm now looking at St. Lachlan Hotel & Suites in Negombo. Is that in a good area of Negombo for walking around at night and have a few drinks?

Thanks again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

Hi there,

Yes about 10 mins from start of Lewis Place area and closerby already some bars/restaurants.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Worth it to stay in Colombo for 1 night layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 22, 2015