We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unawatuna trip

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Unawatuna trip

Have just returned from another fabulous visit to Sri Lanka and wanted to advise that Unawatuna Beach is almost back to it's former glory. Although one end has now lost the beach the better end right in the village and towards the temple has a perfect beach again and its absolutely stunning. Restaurants and bars are now able to provide the beach dining experience that once was, the sand is golden, and the water perfect for swimming, Sadly the other end has lost it's beach and I assume this is due to the man made reef that has been constructed over the last year. Saying that, I stayed at Kingfisher again and the change is remarkable. It's a perfect spot. I noticed water activities are again available from Kayaks, glass bottom boats, and more. I am concerned about the affect to businesses on the other side of the beach now as they seem to have been left with nothing in such a short time. Was there is Feb when it looked completely different. I've never witnessed such a change in a beach in such a short time frame.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unawatuna trip

Thanks for the update! One place I wish to spend a few days at.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unawatuna trip

Hi Everyone,

Can one day-trip at the Kingfisher? I mean rent a sun lounger and eat and drink spending the whole day?

Sounds like a nice place to do that? Any other suggestions? What about Jungle beach, Lucky Tuna??

Ranger Bob Oslo, Norway

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are"

somerset uk
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unawatuna trip

There is no longer any sand at Lucky Tuna - the sandless part of the beach starts at Full Moon and takes in Happy Banana, Sunny beach, Lucky Tuna, Tartaruga and UBR (there is a thin strip above new gabions) and all points east. Last week they were replacing sand where the fishing boats were before .

Richard

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unawatuna trip

I was there in mid-October 2013, couldn't believe the difference. Thought I'd arrived at the wrong place somehow.

There was a beach erosion thread, on which I posted, at the time.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unawatuna trip

Hi Ranger Bob. Yes you can spend the day at Kingfisher as a day guest. You can find my review of Kingfisher under hotel reviews. Note though its not a large property, only 4 rooms but very well appointed. The sun lounges rent for Rp400 for day use which really is very good. I overheard their kayaks rent for Rp500 per hour, again good value. There are only 8 lounges available with umbrellas so advise going early. The beach outside Kingfisher used to have rocks but now its pure sand and less coral to tread on than further up the beach and just perfect for swimming. Drinks and food can be delivered beach side or you could just leave your towel and move a few feet to a dining table. Restaurant and bar are right on the beach. I noticed no problem from staff if you decide to purchase fruit or coconut juice from walking vendors. Wifi access was also good on the beach but you will need to ask for the password and it was free. Clean toilets are also located just inside the small lobby as is a cold outdoor shower to wash sand away. It really is a good spot. Restaurant serves very good quality food from sandwiches and wraps to steak and seafood. I've head their Thai food is wonderful but I can never go past their tuna steak just perfect.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unawatuna trip

Thanks Andy, Very useful ........

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unawatuna trip

Any chance of snorkeling in the area? I have heard that there is a good spot by Jungle Beach but have also read many reports on the reef being pretty much non-existant?

8. Re: Unawatuna trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 21, 2014