We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GFH only partly closing

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,726 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
GFH only partly closing

And the latest on the famous Galle Face Hotel

www.dailynews.lk/…

Comes out there's not much to worry. The Classic Wing will indeed close for over a year, I presume including Sea Spray restaurant because it's on that side of the complex. Regency Wing however will continue to be open all the time. So basically the Landmark remains accessible including one full restaurant and the pool (and the most tiny and probably due to the water most polluted beach of the island :-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GFH only partly closing

Thanks for the update Erik.

The usual main entrance and the old reception side from the Galle Face side has been shut down for a while now and the entrance and the reception to the hotel has been kept from the new wing side from Galle Road. We approached the `Varendha' from this side when I was there couple of times recently so I guess that they would be going in for some major renovations.

Treshi.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GFH only partly closing

Yes. The pool bar is open. So is 1864. But it doesn't have the usual atmosphere since they serve up the buffet in there as well.

The Inn On the Green - the pub that faces Galle road - is open too, and parking is no longer an issue. Even the pool area is unusually peaceful due to the lack of weddings. I hope they are putting some thought into issues regarding noise/sound proofing when they reconstruct the rooms in the classic wing. The rooms closer to the staircase were quite inhabitable on loud wedding days!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GFH only partly closing

Correct, I ve been to 1864 and the Inn on the Green recently too...

4. Re: GFH only partly closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 07, 2014