We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Hi everyone,

I am now have a few basic ideas for our 10 days holiday in Sri Lanka starts the second half of Dec this year.

We would like to visit the Culture Triangle, take a nice scenic train ride at the Hills District and also spend a few days camping for the animal safari.

1 . We like to minimise the change of hotels if possible and we prefer to base ourselve at one or two or three hotels / Camp during the 10 days tour. Can someone please suggest where are good locations to be based for an itinerary above ?

2. And can you please advise the number of day we should spend at each location ?

Thank you for your time

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Hi again,

Both coast and inland Lanka don't have 'one single best locations as a central base'. The travel times/distances are simply too high. Inland one needs 3-4 bases at least: Triangle, Kandy, Haputale-Ella and a safari park if different than Triangle.

Kandy main sights are at least Temple of Tooth and Peradeniya botanical gardens. Good train ride is Nanu Oya (Eliya) to Badulla or any segment of it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Yes, this is the first time in our travel where it involves a lot of driving. I am very surprise by the driving time to different locations.

What about if we stay a few nights in Kandy, would that make it easier to visit HP and Adams Peak ?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Trying to do everything from one location does not work due to distances......as you will be on the road for to much time and it will not be an enjoyable experience. What's the problem with staying in a few differnt hotels in wonderful locations if they are convenient.....

Just take the sage advice from experts above (not me) if not why ask!lol

Edited: 3:22 am, September 04, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Both HP and AP are at least 3 hours drive from Kandy.

Hans

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

I understand that staying at a number of nice places would be great but at the same time after the long drive, we like to stay at least 3-4 nights stay the same hotel and feel settle down a little, we just don't feel like to keep repack and unpack in our holiday.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Hi again,

That's your choice but it simply restricts what you can see :-( With 3 nights minimum per base it means that for the inland of Lanka you need no less than 9 nights, as it's three separate bases which you can read several times in the thread. Doing e.g. Kandy from Ella is really killing your holiday as it would be nine hours driving up and down for maximum four-five hours of sightseeing...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Hi there,

What about if I fly from Colombo to Kandy, then hire a driver to take us to Nuwara Eliya from the airport. We will stay in Nuwara Eliya for 3 nights, then go to Kandy and stay for 3 nights, after that, we will go to Habarana and stay for 4 nights. From Habarana, we will visit the cultural sites and visit a Wildlife National Park from there.

Does this plan sound doable?

Thanks so far for all the help

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

Hi again,

Well the road trip Colombo-Kandy is three hours. So you hardly save time. Next to this also it'll be hard to find a flight, no scheduled services known to us (to the Kandy aerodromes being Polgolla and Victoria, both are landing spots and jetties for water planes). If flight would be an option flying to Habarana or to Eliya is more logical, in your current plan it's backtracking Kandy-Eliya-Kandy again. Check with Cinnamon Air what is possible...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

I really dont think you get the idea of a tour and stay holiday...believe me it works. A week or so on a relaxed tour, minimising the driving distances and another week or so to rest and enjoy some beach resorts. leave it to long and as December you may have difficulty getting the accommodation you want, i did and booked months ago...By all means ignore everyone's advice.....but why ask in the first place!lol

30. Re: Where should I based for the following itinerary ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 06, 2014