We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Illinois...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

I am going from Sri Lanka to the Maldives and realized I forgot to pack my swimsuits (am already in Sri Lanka). Duh, I know :). I will be in Colombo the day before flying to Male and am guessing that is the easiest place to find a store selling suits. Anyone have suggestions where I can shop? I haven't booked the hotel for that night yet, so I am flexible on location. I am from the US and would prefer some brands I am familiar with but realize I need to take what I can get. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Lena

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,048 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

Hi Lena,

Odel (Union Place) and the shops at Crescat Plaza are the most upmarket and hence most chance for Western-brand suits. Next to that the main other malls, e.g. Liberty Plaza (north side Galle Road - Kollupitiya) and Majestic City (more south side, Bambalapitiya) have 1-2 sports shops at least but probably the more budget/local brands. If I am not mistaken the sports shop in Chatham St. in Fort (near Laksala) which helped me out some time back in a similar case still exists. The swimwear however, whilst still working now , lost its stripes quite soon after buying so it was really 'local' quality :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Peoria, Illinois...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

Thanks so much! I only need for about four days, so definitely should find something that works. Really appreciate your help!!

Peoria, Illinois...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

As follow-up for any future readers, Odel was a great spot. I didn't find but a couple sport suits at Crescat and these were too small. At Odel, I found two suits that worked with sizes big enough for me and not too expensive. They have held up well so far this week in the Maldives. Lots of mix and match two piece options and some one pieces. Thanks again for the suggestion!

4. Re: Buy an "emergency" swimsuit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 21, 2013