We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AFL Grand Final

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AFL Grand Final

G'day all,

I'll be in Colombo to watch a couple of the Aussie T20 World Cup games in Sep.

Could anyone tell me whether it is possible to watch the AFL (Aussie rules) grand final live in Colombo on 29 Sep and if so where?

Much appreciated

David

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AFL Grand Final

I don't think anyone in Sri Lanka follows AFL. You may get certain channels in your hotel room (through sattelite TV). If you are lucky you will find one.

In public, I don't think anyone knows what AFL is...

Melb. Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AFL Grand Final

What a pity they do not know what they are missing LOL.

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AFL Grand Final

I don't think u r missing NFL... u cant expect people in other parts of the world to watch ur own games ;) we don't miss it at all

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AFL Grand Final

Cheers for that. I thought it might be a tough one to get live. I was mostly checking for my travelling mate who's keen to watch it.

Does anyone know whether Australian Network is one of the satellite channels over there? I'm pretty sure it will be on that.

Cheers

David

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AFL Grand Final

These satellite channels are available in Sri Lanka.

http://www.dialog.lk/personal/tv/channels/

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AFL Grand Final

Australia Network is there in Dialog TV (satellite TV), I can see the channel on my TV as well. It is what Hans has given above as well.

So, better make sure you are at a hotel with "Dialog TV / DTV" connection at your room on the day of final. Not all hotels have Dialog TV as some use different cable TV and IP TV providers.

cheers

Tharindu

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: AFL Grand Final

That's great info guys. I'll be looking for a hotel with Dialog TV for cable.

Cheers

David

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AFL Grand Final

They show it on Australia Network channel 42 on dialog tv..

Perth
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: AFL Grand Final

Hi Dave,

Im also heading to Colombo to watch some T20 games. I will be trying to watch the GF aswell. It will be on the Austryalia Network, I am just trying to see if the Cricket Club will show it too.

I am thinking there may be a few Aussies over there to watch cricket also, and maybe a group tour of aussies will have enough sway for a pub to put it on in the bar.

email me, and I will talk to my friends over there to see what they have to say, if they know of anywhere that would play it.

Steve

(steve.bekker@y7mail.com)

Colombo
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AFL Grand Final

G'day mate.

I'm a Sri Lankan, but lived most of my life in Australia. I'm now back in Sri Lanka and the thing I miss the most is my AFL. I miss the Vibe, and basically no one in Sri Lanka knows about AFL.

I get my AFL games online, but If you are staying at a hotel - and provided they have cable tv with the aussie network, then you should be all good to go.

But with the Grand Final I reckon having a few beers with some mates would be better than watching it in a hotel room.

So I suggest you go to the Cricket Club Cafe, it's in Colombo and in close proximity to alot of the hotels - I'm sure they would telecast the game.

I will be heading over there myself come grandfinal day, so If you would like to meet up during the game or you have heard of a better place to watch the game, give us a shout.

mush.nisthar@jb.lk

Cheers