We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lankan visa on arrival

yangon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi,

I'm running low in my passport in terms of pages, so would like to hear from people who have been recently regarding the size of the stamp.

My passport is American, and I plan to get the Sri Lankan visa on arrival there.

If someone could let me know that would be great.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi,

The stamp is 35 x 20 mm.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi there.....

Times TWO, passport also stamped on departure.......

Regards

Dave

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
469 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

I have a US passport also. The stamp is rather small, as already noted. Not one of those full page paste-ins, if that's your concern.

The experts here could provide more informed advice. But based on my recent entry into and out of the country a couple of times, I found the immigration folks who stamp the passport pretty friendly. If it helps your situation, you could very politely ask them to stamp a page that already has other stamps on it, rather than a new one.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Entry stamp is rectangular - 35 x 20 mm.

Exit stamp is circular - diameter 32 mm.

Visa extension (beyond 30 days) stamp is rectangular - 60 x 30 mm.

Hans

Edited: 10:54 pm, February 28, 2011
Canton of Geneva...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi there

I am visting Sri Lanka later this month as a tourist and have seen conflicting reports about whether or not the visa-on-arrival facility is still operating. I am travelling on a New Zealand passport, so the visa-on-arrival option would apply in my case, if it is in fact still operating.

Can anyone confirm definitively whether it is operating? Otherwise, it's going to be a mad dash to get a visa next week before I leave for the Maldives next weekend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi there.....

Visa BEFORE arrival still not in operation, was due around May time, but no confirmation yet.., so at this time, you will get your visa when you arrive..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 1:05 pm, April 01, 2011
7. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:14 pm, April 01, 2011
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Hi,

This notice on Sri Lanka Immigration website (http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/) has not been updated since early February:

"The on arrival visa facility (Visit Visa, Transit Visa) will remain unchanged until the internet based on-line visa service (Electronic Travel Authority) is established. The general public and the stakeholders will be duly notified when the ETA system is operationally ready."

Also no updates in local newspapers.

When I extended my visa 2 weeks ago I asked the controller at Immigration when the new system will be launched. He did not know.

With the 3 months pilot test that was announced in January I doubt the new system will be effective until August st the earliest.

Hans

Canton of Geneva...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Thanks so much for your fast replies - very helpful!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lankan visa on arrival

Following a very recent difficult experience with the arrival visa stamped on the passport, I'd like to suggest that everyone check that the Immigration Officer has written the number of days [ normally 30] on the visa stamp and also initialled it as well. Usually you would assume that has been done - especially if you travel in and out very frequently - and just take your passport and hurry to baggage claim.

I'd suggest that those who were born in SL but travel on a different passport should be more careful about this. I'm just finding out that some unexpected hassles are being encountered on departure regarding this.

Archi