We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Beach?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sweden
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Great Beach?

Hello, where can we find a nice clean beach suitable for children in Sri Lanka? The Bentota area in the SouthWestern part looks nice but we do not want to travel 3 hours from the airport with our 2 & 4 year old children. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

May

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,740 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Beach?

Hi Joe-May,

In case you can only survive short transfer time then you have to stick with Negombo or Marawila, both north of the airport. Both reasonably clean, with Negombo by far the widest choice of hotels. Beware: though clean part of the beaches are not white sands but more stony, and in any case they are more steep and narrow than the ones south of Colombo (like Bentota). Do ask for detailed hotel pictures, including beach, before deciding...

Have a nice trip,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Southampton,
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Beach?

Joe,

If you can afford it take an air taxi to bentota, see my post

John

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Beach?

You might try the Mount Lavinia Hotel just outside Colombo, http://www.mountlaviniahotel.com/

The Mount Lavinia Hotel is a legacy of Sri Lanka 's Colonial Heritage. It stands as a monument to the forbidden love of a Governor General and a local mestizo dancer who cast a spell on his heart.

Beautiful beach (if you want you can waly all the way to Colombo) just perfect for a familly with kids.

tesside
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Beach?

if you are there for a couple of weeks then i would reccommend an over night stay near the airport and then go south it really is worth the trip i have been travelling to sri lanka for 10 years and my children were very young when we started going and the beaches in the south are much much better than the ones on the west coast you could break the journey up with a nights stay somewhere else i stayed in the benatota area first couple of times but once i discovered th south i never went back... hope you and your family have a fab time, i am going back on the 15th if jan and cant wait!

Beijing
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Beach?

BORO86:

What do you think about the Arugam Bay area? Is Mirissa "open" for tourists now? With kids ages 13 and 9, what hotel/beach would you recommend? We want to be able to go in the ocean (surfing lessons for beginners??) and also have a pool. Does anyone know if there is an air taxi to Arugam Bay?

We will go Jan 20-27 but are extremely flexible with where in SL. Need a room for 4 under US$200. We just want warm beach!

tesside
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Beach?

hi bechen,

will be there the same time as us, as for arugam bay being on the east it is not the best time to go as april to sept is season for that area i am not sure about how things are in marrisa i stay at ahangama which is more toward galle but the place we stay is beautiful spotless and up and running again, its right on the beach with a great reef for snokelling, the area is also popular with surfers and thecouple who run the guesthouse who are form norway originally are avid surfers and have boards for hire and do insruction too,if want the details email at debgogtter@yahoo.co.uk, but be quick as i leave on sunday!