We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
iraq
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
first timer

hello all. im in iraq wrking for the army and was thinking abat taking a week leave in the mid of may...im a 50 yr old single guy....i love just relaxing at the beach ,working out, eating fresh seafood , beer and even maybe meet a lady ..any good places at the beach i could hang and relax w services....thx john

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

Hi John,

Yes indeed Lanka is one of the best value-for-money places in this region, next to India (Goa) and parts of Thailand. Note however that Lanka and India tend to be a bit conservative, so finding female local companions is a lot more difficult than male but for sure a possibility.

Best beach areas with a 'tourist zone' are Negombo, Bentota, Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna. The first two have both budget and upmarket options, the latter two focus more on budget/backpackers. And Negombo, though closest to airport, also has worst natural beaches.

Hope this helps a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

iraq
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer

erik ,,bentoto sounds like a winner.....any reasonable hotels w a pool and with in walking distance to tourist ones u can recommend ,,thx john

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

Hi again,

Well they have a 'string' of reasonable 3-star ones: Serendib, Bentota Beach and Lihiniya Surf. We stayed in the first two and felt them okay for the price level.

But there's many more. 'Beware' of Ceysands and Club Bentota; they're also good 2-3 star (we stayed at C.) but too far walking from the restaurant scene, while on the other hand they have a relaxing silent location on the peninsula between river and sea, far away from all road noise.

Have beach fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

iraq
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer

erik can i email directly w some issues i have to ask u...thx john ..my email is jonthelamb@aol.com

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer

Hi John,

Better use a 'personal message' in TA, then you keep everything in context. Just click on the userid in the TA forum, you get to the profile of the member, and there is an option to send a PM. But alternatively you can use erikdr@dutchmail.com too ;-)

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 18, 2009