We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How reliable is Sri Lankan?

We are looking to do the following flights for our honeymoon to the Maldives via Colombo on Sri Lankan:

Mumbai - Colombo

03.25 - 05.45

Colombo - Male

07.20 - 08.15

THEN return leg

Male - Colombo

14.10 - 16.10

Colombo - Delhi

17.40 - 21.10

My concern is that these flight connections are quite tight. Do you guys think I will be ok with these connecting flights through Colombo?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Personally I would not worry about the connection times. 1:35 outbound and 1:30 inbound should be enough time. Minimum Connectin Time in CMB is AFAIK 60 mins, but in my opinion it can be done in less than 45 mins - even if you have to go to the transfer desk to get your onward boarding pass.

In case of a delay on the incoming flight I am pretty sure that SriLankan staff will assist you to connect to your flight.

Worst case scenario would be:

Outbound: You will go to MLE on UL 103 - leaving CMB 16.25 and arriving MLE 17.20.

Inbound: Leave MLE 09.15 and arrive CMB 11.10. As you mention yourself in your post in Maldives forum.

Or drop SriLankan and go with Jet Airways/Indian Airlines.

Hans

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Usually the airline stipulate how much time has to be allowed for connections, so if the reservation has been accepted, then it is adequate.

Colombo airport is not very big, and is well sign posted, so when you disembark it will be easy to see the intransit area etc.

Maybe when you check in, ask to be sat near an exit door for ease. I have experienced instances when the cabin crew ask that customer with connecting flights disembark first.

Relax and enjoy!

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Thanks for all the comments guys.

It is annoying that the actual Sri Lankan website does not allow you to book for this December! It's an awful site...so I am not sure if they will except the reservation. All the sites such as Expedia and Opodo etc are offering those flight connections. So I take it if they can offer it...Sri Lankan has approved the connections?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Hi,

Agreed, SriLankan website is not impressing.

Why don't you phone or email one of their offices in India? You can find phone-nos and email address under "Contact Us" on their webpage.

Hans

Unawatuna
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Sri Lankan is going down more and more day by day since the Emirates management and most competent staff is gone.

Delays are increasing on Asian routes as well as the service has become lousy in comparison to previous days.

So best to have a few hours in between.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Colombo airport quite small so not far to get around, but security very tight when we went through last Sunday - this won't apply so much to you, as you won't have time to get out of the airport but there are military checkpoints outside. Watch out though, we got called to the gate by name an hour before boarding, then sat there for ages. We think, but still don't really know, because of the security alerts and as we were the only "Westerners" on the flight. That was on the way out, on the way back we chilled, and it was fine, but the flight was delayed due to late incoming (Emirates). Then delayed again at Male because they didn't have the right puncture repair kit...

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Do you know if Sri Lankan would delay the flight leaving from Colombo to Male if my flight were to arrive late from Mumbai?

Do any of you guys know how reliable the flight from Mumbai to Colombo is? Does is arrive generally on time in Colombo?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

Hi

I guess 3 factors would decide whether Sri Lankan would delay the flight going to Male:

1 - how long is incoming flight(s) delayed

2 - how many passengers are connecting

3 - when is the next available flight to Male

Yesterday the flight from Mumbai was 20 mins delayed and today it was 17 mins delayed.

You can check actual arrivals/departures here:

…srilankan.aero/travelplanner/arrivals.shtml

Hans

19. Re: How reliable is Sri Lankan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 05, 2009