We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Travel Agent

Vancouver
13 posts
Save Topic
Good Travel Agent

Can anyone suggest a good travel agent through whom I can book hotels and other services in Colombo and the rest of Sri Lanka? Is it a good idea to just book initial hotel rooms and organize everything else once in the country?

We are arriving in Colombo in late May. We plan to stay in Sri Lanka until mid-late June and we (2 adults) are on a moderate budget.

Thanks,

Andy

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,546 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Travel Agent

Hi Andy,

Well-known names are Hemtours, Aitken Spence, Walker's Tours to name a few. And also Red Dot which is mixed UK/Lanka.

Hotel bookings can be done as well through independent sites, they offer same prices as the agents. E.g. asiarooms.com and sri-lanka-hotelguide.com.

Yes, transport can be arranged locally - either train where possible or car-with-driver.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Travel Agent

Hi…..

yes it wise to book initial hotel fist and the rest when your in sri lanka. When you organizing holiday through the travel agent obviously you have to pay lot more than going your self. There is option contact local independent people who doing organizing you can have a better deal with them.i will send you PM some contact detail of few.

Thanks you,

ind

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Travel Agent

A year ago, we were also on a moderate budget and like you, wondering if we should book ahead or not. I researched all the agencies mentioned on this forum and we finally chose Lion Royal Tourisme. We were very happy with them, everything went smoothly and it was a pleasure to just relax and enjoy the country without having to organize everything as we went along (our usual mode of travel). You can read my trip report if you click on my name and scroll through my forum contributions-- it's listed under Feb 28, 2007. Have a good trip!

Vancouver
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Travel Agent

Thanks for the advice. More questions.

We want to stay in one place for two weeks or longer to experience local culture and to use as a base to explore further afield, what town/area would you suggest?

How do I book accommodation (self-contained 2 bedroom) for two weeks or longer?

How much per week should I expect to pay?

Thanks

Andy

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Travel Agent

Hi andy…..

To stay in a one place fro tow week sri lanka it bit too much .you can stay in a beach fro longer but it is quite far to do day excursion to the famous attractions in sri lanka. my suggestion is better stay a week somewhere near kandy which is very closer to do based short trip from there. For the rest better stay in the beach at south cost relax and even you can do further day trip to little inland and see the real local life.

To book accommodation better contact management directly then you will able to have lower rate as you come late may there is no rush to get hotels.

if you need some detail of hotel i will PM you.

Thanks you,

ind

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Travel Agent

www.srilanka.com is another web site. You can get last minute deals, especially Jetwing hotels. I used it and worked fine. The only thing is it can be booked only 14 days in advance.

Beruwala
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Travel Agent

hi

All good advices are here,

good luck

8. Re: Good Travel Agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 27, 2009