We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Sydney
5 posts
Save Topic
Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Hi

Has anyone out there experienced the Trans Asia Hotel in Colombo. I will be in Colombo for the Feb Poya and am trying to decide where to stay. I have heard lots of reviews on the Galle Face some good some not so, but nothing on the Trans Asia.

Kay

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,761 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Hi Kay,

Yep stayed there 2 years back and will be again this fall.

Well it's still planned to undergo a major refurbishment when enough funds, and then will be rechristened as the 'Cinnamon Lake' hotel. Presently it's 4-star design with, due to some maintenance backlog (--> planned refurbishment), 3-star quality.

The location is nice central but absolutely business-like, hustle-bustle; completely without atmosphere, contrary to Galle Face.

So qualitywise I'd put it roughly on same level as Galle Face old wing: rooms in Trans Asia are somewhat better (not vintage), surroundings worse. If comparing with GF Regency of course no match but then that's full 5-star.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,761 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Hi again Kay,

And to add:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293962-d456…

which reinforce our comments.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Thx for the info, it was very helpful.

Do you know of any hotels in Sri Lanka that have one of those pools where the water falls over the edge (usually on the beach side) so it looks as though the pool is merging into the ocean view?????

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,761 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Yep, they call it an 'infinity pool'. We even have one in our housing compound near Colombo but the backdrop is an unimpressive park pond ;-)

Two famous ones are in two Heritance hotels: Heritance Kandalama in Dambulla (overlooking a large lake) and Heritance Ahungalla, on the sea. 2nd one I only grasped from photos etc., have not yet been there (on the wishlist for once).

But other forum readers to add, there must be more in the topclass hotels in the country!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Hi Kay

Further to Erik's replies....

Infinity pools, there is really only 2 "true" infinity pools that i know of in Sri Lanka, and both are as Erik has said, at the Heritance Hotels.

The one in Dambulla (Heritance Kandalama) is fab looking out over the lake (tank) there,and my personal favourite is at the other one in Ahungalla (Heritance Ahungalla), this one starts in the lobby and goes out to meet the beach, where it "appears" it seems that it joins with the ocean, but there is a wide stretch of beach in between, beautiful at sunset time!!.

Heritance Ahungalla actually hs two pools, the second one not quite an infinty pool, but really nice anyway.

Mail me on davidjstockwell@btinternet.com and i will be happy to send a photo or three of the Ahungalla pool, will be back there at end of February.

As for your choice of Colombo hotel, well i say go for the higest rated one, as now there is no difference in costs, the hotels in Colombo have now "colluded" to all charge he same rate per room, somewhat illegal here in UK as it does away with any competition and therefore choice on price alone, but that's Lanka right??

So, even check out higher rated hotels like Hilton, or Cinnamon Grand too.

Regards

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Cinnamon Grand Colombo
4,866 Reviews
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Thanks, you guys are a wealth of information, and very helpful.

Kay

Qatar
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Hi

There's an infinity pool at a hotel in Galle too. We visited it for a look when staying at The Sun House. Can't remeber the name (something like Ladyhill or Lady House???)but it's dirctly up the hill from The Sun House and has views down to Galle harbour.

Izzy (meow)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,761 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Must be the Lady Hill hotel then. Okay, a 3rd one - and there must be more in the country, esp. in the superluxury places like Amanwella, Fortress and Elephant Corridor?

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

Thanks Izzy, I'll check that one out too :)

K

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Galle Face Hotel vs Trans Asia

I have found another infinity pool at Kandy House.