We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Srin Lanka

LONDON
1 post
Save Topic
First time to Srin Lanka

Hi fellow travellers my girlfriend and i i thinking of going to Sri Lanka

Kalutara, and to stay at the Mermaid Hotel and Club or the Club Hotel Dolphin any advice or reveiws of what to do would be gladly appreciated we are going in august 2007 for 3 weeks.Any tips on local customs ,sites to see would be great.MANY THANKS

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,010 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Srin Lanka

Hi BB,

Hmmm.. don't know about a Hotel Dolphin in Kalutara but there _is_ one in Waikkal-Negombo, maybe you mean that one?

Both hotels have reviews under the Hotels section of TA, so probably there is material that can help you making a decision. As for location and things to do, both have their pros and cons. Negombo is a short transfer from airport and more suitable for day trips to Cultural Triangle, Kalutara has a better beach and is more suitable for day trips to Galle Fort, Hill country and Sinharaja rain forest walks. It's all depending on your taste.

Do browse recent posts in the forums on excursions, that also does give a broader picture!

At your service,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Srin Lanka

I haven't been to the mermaid hotel. but went to club hotel dolphin. I had a fantastic time and would definately recommend this hotel to anyone going to sri lanka. There isn't much around the hotel when you leave the complex but you can take a short taxi ride to negombo town and back for less than 5 pounds.

Sites to see would definately be elephant orphanage, sigiriya rock, temple of the tooth and many more, all can be done in day trips which would be a bit rushed so would recommend staying overnight where we stayed in the citadel hotel which was a very nice stay. Not sure about other trips as we did the overnight excursion. There's also an elephant safari and there's loads more sites to see. The hotel also has many activities so you will never get bored.

Cindi x

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Srin Lanka

I have stayed at the hotel mermaid twice sept 2005 and may 2006 I just loved the place there are 2 separate pools one for lazing and the other for water games they are in separate areas of the hotel so as not to disturb the sun bathers A must see is the elephant orphanage I would suggest a overnight stay as the distance is not to far in miles but the roads are horrific a day trip with the beachboys is excellent to visit the turtle sanctuary and enjoy lunch watching the adult turtles in the sea I do not know about Hotel Dolphin but looking at the forum revievs it also sounds lovely I am hoping to go back to Hotel Mermaid in August perhaps we will see you there

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Srin Lanka

Hi,

Yes i also haven't heard about Club Dolphin in Kalutara.Probably in Waikkal.Enough of things to do.may be you could go inside the coutry & stay two or three days to get the best experience.With you preferences i could suggest you some places.Only staying in the beach side you are not basically experiencing Sri Lanka. Going to a place a place like Habarana,Polonnaruwa,Anuradhapura would be a great idea. Email me if you need further details.

Nishantha

5. Re: First time to Srin Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 30, 2009