We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Hi Im going to Sri Lanka in January 2015 for 2 weeks holiday. Could someone let me know what is the best tourist pre-paid sim pack to get. I need it to send SMS back to Australia and Europe and to put photos in the cloud.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

John

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
1. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Data rates are not that high in Sri Lanka. And international SMS rates are very reasonable.

Choose any of the big providers. Dialog, Mobitel and Etisalat has the best coverage.

Here's one example http://www.mobitel.lk/tourist-pack

Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Thanks for asking this question, jlwAustralia. It is something I am definitely interested in too.

Adding on to SeekingPlaces, Dialog seems to appeal best to me. Given their claim that it is available at the immigration counters at Colombo Airport, among others, it is the most convenient to obtain too.

Their rates are for Rs1299, Rs700 IDD Usage, Rs 250 local Usage, 3GB Data and 12hrs wifi. Didn't mention sms explicitly, but with WhatsApp, sms is kindda passe, agree? They have a Rs 499 plan too. dialog.lk/personal/…

Next there is Etisalat. For Rs1300, you get Rs750 IDD Voice and 50 international sms, Rs100 local voice Calls and 200 local sms. Then there is 1.5GB data. They have a Rs1000 plan too. etisalat.lk/personal/…

Lastly, there is Mobitel. For Rs1200, you get Rs500 IDD voice and 50 international smses. You also receive 60mins local voice calls, and 200 local smses. Finally you get 2GB data. They have a Rs500 plan too. http://www.mobitel.lk/tourist-pack

These plans appeal to me as I'd be in Sri Lanka for a month, require higher data connectivity (mainly uploading pictures too), and the occasional calls to home, as well as being connected with my tour agency and driver while in Lanka.

Since I was consolidating the data, thought I might just as well share here too.

Anyone knows how stable the data connections are for the above mobile providers? I'll be covering the South, Central and Western regions mainly.

Thanks in advance.

Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Same comparison but with a more level benchmark.

Dialog's offer for Rs499 are, Rs250 IDD Usage, Rs 100 local Usage, 1GB Data and 6hrs wifi. Didn't mention sms explicitly, but with WhatsApp, sms is kindda passe, agree? They have a Rs 499 plan too. dialog.lk/personal/…

Next there is Etisalat. They have a Rs1000 plan but if we half that to Rs500 for comparison's sake, and half all their benefits, that'd be Rs250 IDD Voice and 15 international sms, Rs25 local voice Calls and 75 local sms. Then there is 0.5GB data. But keep in mind that this plan is a Rs1000 plan. etisalat.lk/personal/…

Lastly, there is Mobitel. For Rs500, you get Rs200 IDD voice and 30 international smses. You also receive 20mins local voice calls, and 75 local smses. Finally you get 750MB data. http://www.mobitel.lk/tourist-pack

So, this price bracket may appeal to someone staying for a fortnight, but till we figure out how much per minute of call is worth, or each sms is charged, I would think Dialog looks most feasible still. Unless the places you stay at do offer free wifi mostly, then the free wifi becomes kind of redundant.

Edited: 9:25 am, November 03, 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
4. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

You can get an idea of the rates here dialog.lk/personal/…

Data connectivity is great in most parts. There are some parts of the hill region where you might not get good data connectivity. But overall, I wouldn't worry about it

Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Thanks all, especially SeekingPlaces.

I've decided on Dialog after reviewing the rates and everything.

Layer de la Haye...
Level Contributor
25 posts
552 reviews
6. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

Been inSL a month and used Dialog ( free sim provided at immigration). Got one for the iPad and one for the iPhone and put the 499 LKR packs on each. Perfect. Augmented SL awful wifi greatly!

7. Re: Tourist pre-paid sim pack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 28, 2015