We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Eastern Norway...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Hi,

my boyfriend and I are travelling to Sri Lanka in January, and for the first days we would like to travel around a bit. When planning this we have a few questions:

1. What do we need to think about in order to secure a good driver/nice car?

2. What is the average rate for hiring a driver and car?

3. Is food/overnight stay for the driver normally included in this price, or do we pay for that in addition to the day rate?

4. Do we also pay for the drivers return travel to the starting point? (Galle-Colombo/airport).

The drive will start from Negombo (the airport) and end in Galle, and during the trip we will visit Sigiriya, perhaps drive through Kandy, Nuwara Eliya and Haputale on our way to Galle. We would also like to see elephants/other wildlife, can you perhaps advice us as to whether it is best to visit Pinnawala (the orphanage) or a national park like Udawalawe?

I look forward to your good advice!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,603 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Hi there,

Will try...

1] Search the forum for experiences with freelance drivers. And contact regular posters like DE's for recommendations, any open forum recommendation at least was done by someone not respecting TA guidelines about it and quite often suspect. Often more expensive, but with more guarantees, are large operators: e.g. Aitken Spence, Luxe Asia, Red Dot, Tangerine, Walkers.

2] Based on Rs 45/km with minimum daily mileage for roundtrips; often leads to around USD 50-60/day. _Or_ Rs 75/km for one-way taxi hires.

3] Well the driver never pays for that. For stay/dinners, most hotels and the upmarket guesthouses have a free or almost free drivers quarter. And if you book one without this, e.g. boutique hotel or cheap guesthouse, it becomes cheapish as you need to pay around Rs 2000/extra per night for his bed and food. Lunches for him are free if you lunch in a tourist restaurant.

4] If you want the Rs 45/km price, yes for sure. The reason for the 60% higher one-way price is empty return rides.

Pinawela is a zoo albeit a special one. UW or other parks are real natural wildlife habitats, normally the beasties are not disturbed by the fact there's a fence around it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Eastern Norway...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Thank you for your reply, this was helpful. I have tried to read the posts with driver tips, but it seems many of them are drowned in "this post was removed"-posts.

Someone we know in Norway have recommended "a guy" that he has always used during his many trips and longer stays in Sri Lanka. This is, however, a tuk-tuk driver, who have been helpful in arranging longer trips with other drivers before. We would like to have some knowledge about what to expect before we talk to him, to make sure we don't miss anything important.

50-60 USD plus some expences for food/stay sounds alright I guess, we have no problem paying for a safe and pleasant drive.

Doha, Qatar
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

I will visit Sri lanka next week at 14 october till 20 october

14 october i will arrive colombo and than i want to travel haberana to my hotel there and i will stay 4 days there and than i will return to colombo and stay another 3 days and return back

i need a car with driver to make some tours and visit nice places

please advise if you know any trusted company to arrange such van with driver

thanks

Ozgur

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,603 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Hi Ozgur,

See #1: "Often more expensive, but with more guarantees, are large operators: e.g. Aitken Spence, Luxe Asia, Red Dot, Tangerine, Walkers." and also the means of finding a freelance driver. Not allowed to give names in TA forum, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

5. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:27 am, October 07, 2013
6. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, October 07, 2013
7. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, October 07, 2013
8. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:52 am, October 08, 2013
9. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 7:05 am, October 11, 2013
10. Re: renting a car with driver for 4-5 days travel in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 12:05 pm, October 10, 2013