We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing

Is it free to wear anything in Sri Lanka for girls? Or there are some prohibitions?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,522 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing

Hi there,

No 'legal' prohibitions, except the rule for all men and women visiting temples and churches to cover legs until knees at least and shoulders too. Ad-hoc clothing like sarongs is allowed for this.

However lots of 'cultural' prohibitions outside the beach areas and the hotel grounds - it's better simply not to reveal too much of the body on the normal streets (e.g. shopping and touring) for females. T-shirts are fine as are bermudas and modest skirts, but e.g. tanktops and shorts could simply lead to an overload of locals (men _and_ ladies) staring, pointing, giggling at you and some men of course going further with e.g. whistling.

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing

Thank you very much for info...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing

Hi,

Erick is correct... further, the dress code for Colombo is a bit more free and girls tend to wear whatever they prefer even short skirts and shorts at times. But this is in Colombo more touristy areas and not otherwise. But the dress code for temples/churches etc goes for same island-wide as Erick has mentioned.

As long as you are in decent clothing not much revealing, you should be fine in Sri Lanka.

Rgds,

Treshi,

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing

I have not faced too much of attention, with a friend who insists on wearing shorts everywhere! There could be the occasional offer of a lift or privilege of crossing the road before them, but nothing to cause too much concern and never staring, pointing, giggling! We even went into a police station after 6.30pm, and was taken seriously! So, brig your shorts, wear when you feel comfortable and see if it works for you!

Love to hear your feedback on your experience.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing

1LifeStand, lucky you, we Sri Lankans will not be tolerated in a police station with a pair of shorts...

Treshi.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing

I am Sri Lankan!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing

Oh in this case, I'm surprised!!!

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing

Thanx everyone for your kind replies.. Will give you a feedback whenever I'm back from the trip..Hopefully I'll be lucky enough not to face any serious discomfort on that ..:)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing

Treshi

I am surprised too. My long association with SL informs me that women who go about under dressed receive a whole lot of attention that I would not like for myself, daughters or granddaughter. Not knowing the language and seeing smiles, that really originate in embarrassment at seeing such a state of undress in public, shields the barely wearers of what local people think. Ignorance is bliss in this.

SButterfly - you have asked the question which shows an awareness of what may or may not be acceptable. Thank you for being thoughtful. If you want respect for yourself and to respect the local people wherever you travel I am sure that you will dress appropriately.

Have a lovely holiday!

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing

Archi,

I m glad you respect my culture unlike some Sri Lankans who don't.

1LifeStand being a local walks into a police station in a pair of shorts and after 6.30 pm and she very openly talks about it in this forum and this took me by surprise as I m very well aware of the culture of this country. She may have been lucky to have been respected as usually a police station will not tolerate this kind of attire in any means and we knowing that, respecting our own selves and the government organizations wouldn't walk into a place as such with a pair of shorts. A foreigner is an exception.

I'm also glad that SButterfly came out with this question simply because she cares and respects our culture and in return we respect you for being thoughtful.

One must always respect what other's respect specially in a foreign country and they will be respected for their thoughtfulness by return.

Sri Lanka has it's restrictions and special attires for certain very cultural as well as religious places just as in other countries. If you dress appropriately no matter which country you are visiting, you will not face any embarrassments or discomfort at all.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Edited: 8:36 am, July 16, 2013